Leon Stylance stereo upgrade

Robdrums

"Bitchtits"
Feb 18, 2006
Surrey
Hi all,

I am considering my options regarding a stereo upgrade in my new Leon Stylance. I know I don't even have the car yet, but when I tried the stereo with some Pendulum on the test drive it was, frankly, crap and not even half as good as the Aura unit in my current car.

I have searched and read a lot of threads on speaker swaps, and it seems the common thing to do is repace the 5.5cm mids with a pair of coaxes and disregard the tweeters completely.

Would a set of components be better to replace the stock speakers, and it's just the effort required in getting the door trim off that puts people off?

I would be more likely to go to a pro ICE store to have a bit of an upgrade, as I am not confident with anything like this.

As I am getting Bluetooth with the car I don't really want to replace the head unit. Would it be a feasible plan (and is the HU capable of it?) to get an amp to run the front speakers?

Or if I was paying someone to do it, would it be wise and a good general upgrade to simply ask them to change the speakers for some components? I know usually it's considered you need more power than a head unit, even an aftermarket one, to run comps successfully, due to the crossovers.

I might even get a four channel amp and bridge the other two into a sub, is that a good plan, to save getting an active one or a separate amp (I need my boot space so can't go crazy)?

I don't want stupidly loud thumping bass or anything, just good quality, crisp all round sound.

Is any of this possible, or would I require a new HU to run any kind of amps due to the (I presume) lack of an audio out?

If I did get a new HU what is the deal with the Bluetooth, can it still be routed in or is that a minefield best left?

Cheers

Rob

thebears

VIP Member
Apr 19, 2004
I know what you mean, i am changing from my S3 with bose to a leon and i am sure going to miss the sounds and bass.

Deev

May 28, 2006
Croydon, South London
I've actually found that the stock speakers aren't that bad (don't get me wrong - they're certainly not great - but they're not complete shite), but unfortunately you get a farting sound if you put ANYTHING in the door pockets as they vibrate!

May 13, 2007
ive got my standard headunit running infinity speakers in the doors and 2x 12" alpine subwoofers in the boot sounds good but you loose all your boot space not good chris

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
I think the general consensus is the the headunit is decent, but the speakers arnt. :)

May 13, 2007
yes i think the headunit is quite good also nice an stealhy when parked up no one nows youve got an ice upgrade so shouldnt get knicked

col.mc

Few golf mk5 owners upgraded the speakers with Rainbow units that were designed for the car. Anyone know if they fit a Leon?

Robdrums

"Bitchtits"
Feb 18, 2006
Surrey
I was considering doing a direct swap for some Fusions in the front of the car, but would I be better off with coaxes or, as someone else will be doing the work, components?

How do you get the signal from the HU to your subs' amp in the boot, leoncp11, is it simply rigged in parallel via the speaker cable, rather than on an audio out, as I wouldn't have expected it to have a separate output?

If the head unit is capable of performing up against two twelve inch subs then clearly power isn't an issue. I might consider a subwoofer (single 10 or 12 though) if it's as straightforward as being plugged onto the head unit's signal path (and power and earth obviously), but as a quick fix, the coax upgrade is worth doing then, or should I wait and get some components in there instead?

Wish I hadn't sold my old Vibe active sub box now.

Cheers

Rob

Deev

May 28, 2006
Croydon, South London
Most people seem to think that replacing the main drivers with decent all rounders and disconnecting the tweeters but to be honest I'd rather replace the drivers with something decent and leave the tweeters in place. Anyone done this? What would happen if I replaced the drivers with "normal" speakers and left the tweeters connected too?

May 13, 2007
hi yes got a line out converter on the rear speaker wires behind glovebox these run via rca cable the amp wouldnt use 2 12" subs again too much bass only using a quarter of avaiable power and no boot space gonna refit only 1 sub soon i left the original tweeter operating and used infinity 3 way co axals in doors chris

big davey

ive got my standard headunit running infinity speakers in the doors and 2x 12" alpine subwoofers in the boot sounds good but you loose all your boot space not good chris

Does the subwoofer connect up with the standard head unit? Didnt think it had the connections.

May 13, 2007
no you will need an speaker to rca converter and splice this into the rear speaker wires behind the headunit and the box goes behind the glove box and then run rca cables to amp job done chris
cbf2_2.jpg