Location of VIN number

RobE

Hi,
I am planning to go and look at an Arosa that I have seen advertised; I wanted to know where the VIN number is located on the car so I can check it when I go to look at it.

Also are there any common problems I should be on the look out for. It is a 2001 1.4TDi

Thanks in advance
Rob

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
It should be on the dashboard on the nearside - there is a space in the black surround to see it, although on mine it's actually to one side.

RobE

That was a quick reply :)

Is that the only place it should be? should it be stamped in to the body work anywhere?

Thanks,
Rob

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
If my memory serves me correctly, it should also be stamped on (or near) a plate at the back of the engine bay which details some of the other option codes of the vehicle.

RobE

Thanks.

Yes I can use the one of the V5 for a data check. I just wanted to be able to make sure the details on the car actually matched up with teh documents.

So are there any common problems I should be lookinng for?

Thanks,
Rob

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
Main problem is the infamous pedal box - the clutch pedal is on a bracket that will snap off under too much pressure (it was designed to collapse in an accident, but can shear from just a heavy clutch).
The clutch pedal should be about level with the brake pedal, bite point in a normal place (not on the floor) and no creaks. If it isn't it could be a pedal box on the way out, although the only way to know for sure is to get upside down under the dash with a torch and take a look!

Check it over for rust around the arches, fuel filler cap, roof rails and windscreen - the shell is rust-proofed but these areas are weak points.

Look through the service history and if its over 40k or 4 years old it needs to have had the cambelt changed. The book says 60k or 6 years but this was brought forward after several early failures. The waterpump also should be changed to a metal bladed one.

That's the main things to look for that I can remember. :)

EDIT: Also, if it's a MK1 there was a recall to replace the brake vacuum hose a short while after it was released. This was recalled again a year or so ago to catch ones that sliped through, so should have been done by now. If not though, it's not a major safety issue (you will just loose servo assistance) and will be done for free by SEAT.

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
Thats a pretty good summary of what to look out for on an Arosa there Loops. :clap: Might be worth one of the mods making this one a sticky as there are quite a few newbies who pop on and ask the very same question.

RobE

ThankslLunalupi. I had read about the vaccum hoses having a recall on some models. I will lokk out for the other things too.According to the advert the timing belt was done at just under 60K and it has now done 72K

Not sure what mark it is; It has a front grill which looks like the one on most Seats now, so I think this means it is the newer model?

Hopefully when I phone them tomorrow it won't already be gone. There don't seem to be too many of the TDi models about.

I was looking at getting a Smart car at one point; but having looked into it a bit more it seems it is very common for them to need an engine rebuild after about 60k so on balance I think this will be a far more sensible choice as I am expecting the diesel engines in these should be good for quite a high mileage.

Thanks for the help.
Rob

s10mph

VAG car nut
Mar 1, 2008
Thundersley
Vin no. is displayed under bonnet, in the owners handbook, bottom of windscreen and in the boot floor under the carpet unless it's worn off by now.
Leaks in the intercooler hoses, sloppy pedals can be detected by driving the car and see if it accelerates smoothly in all gears. Check everything else as you would with any other car. Rust is not a problem with all VAG cars unless the paintwork has been damaged.

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
ThankslLunalupi. I had read about the vaccum hoses having a recall on some models. I will lokk out for the other things too.According to the advert the timing belt was done at just under 60K and it has now done 72K

Not sure what mark it is; It has a front grill which looks like the one on most Seats now, so I think this means it is the newer model?

Hopefully when I phone them tomorrow it won't already be gone. There don't seem to be too many of the TDi models about.

I was looking at getting a Smart car at one point; but having looked into it a bit more it seems it is very common for them to need an engine rebuild after about 60k so on balance I think this will be a far more sensible choice as I am expecting the diesel engines in these should be good for quite a high mileage.

Thanks for the help.
Rob

No problem :)

That will be a MK2 if it has a new style grill and curvy headlights - me and Boo have Mk1s.

The TDi engine is a very good one. When looked after it will just go on and on and on, and the power and torque can be upped easily with a remap if you feel the need.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.