Loss of throttle and car dying

Sep 11, 2022
Hi all, I’m hoping someone here has had a similar issue to me and could give some advice. I’ll try make this as concise as I can but I’m only new into the car scene so please bear with me. I have a 2003 1.8T cupra for the last year or so. I’ve had to replace a few bits already which is understandable as it’s an old enough car. Recently I’ll be driving along and I’ll notice a lack of power. At first when I tried to accelerate I notice the car actively pushing back against me and slowing down and the only way to stop this was changing gear. However more recently when power starts to go and I try to accelerate there is absolutely no throttle response at all and the car will roll and the revs go down so low the car dies and the battery light pops up on the dash. It will then take more than 5 attempts to get the car going again. Last week when this happened my indicators stopped working (no clicking noise or anything) and have since magically come back to life. There is a pop and bang map installed about 6 months now and a mechanic friend of mine is putting it down to the ECU. I know I can’t be the only one who’s experienced this and I’m open to literally any suggestions. Any advice?

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Any fault codes?
Faulty brake switch gave similar symptoms on mine (affects the throttle despite the name).
Also could be the relays under the dash (especially if indicators playing up as well). Sometimes water gets in under there. I'd pull out all the relays and check they haven't got rusty contacts.

Reactions: sophie_or
Sep 11, 2022
No fault codes unfortunately :( will try plug in while driving during the week. Thanks for the advice we will replace brake sensor and check the relays hopefully I come back with some good news :)

smutts

Apr 12, 2020
X2 on the management thinking the brake pedal is pressed.
This won't throw a fault code.
If you can get hold of VCDS, it can log when the the car thinks the brake is pressed.
Best with a passenger to press the buttons!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.