Loud Bang when launching - Leon e Hybrid

Jan 14, 2024
Hi,

New leon e hybrid owner here. Just got the car and when I floor it from a stop, the car makes a loud bang, some wheelspin and then continues to accelerate.

Just wondering what could be causing the bang sound, is it the traction control, my wheels or is it normal for FWD cars?

Besides that the car drives fine!

Ive attached a video with the sound Im experiencing (00:02) -

Any help much appreciated

Reactions: PowellHieroglyphics
Mar 4, 2023
From what I understand there isn’t any true launch control on the seat Leon e-hybrid. The bang is probably from the engine starting and trying to hit full power immediately along with the gearbox having to try and manage it along with the instant 85ph from the electric motor.

I’ve only tried it once but had the petrol engine idling and also let it warm to operating temperature and didn’t get a bang just wheel spin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richiepoos

Oct 14, 2022
I've got the 245 cupra estate and it doesn't make that noise when I launch it. Before watching I was expecting to hear your front wheels bounce (not sure of the correct technical term) but most FWD cars with too much power tend to do it - your noise is something entirely different!

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@AxelPrime125; I could hear something at 00:02 but it didn’t sound like a loud bang to me.

What brand of tyres do you have on your car? Under certain conditions (e.g. under hard acceleration from rest), some cars will suffer from wheel hop and axle tramping (@Richiepoos - I think that’s the term you were thinking of) where the tyres momentarily lose grip before grip is regained, and wheel hop / axle tramp does often make a loud banging sound. It’ll be more pronounced;
  • with some brands of tyre than others - Bridgestones have a tendency to induce wheel hop and axle tramp with enthusiastic acceleration from rest.
  • in certain weather and temperature conditions - e.g. summer tyres on a car during cold winter months - grip can be compromised when the temperature is consistently below 7°C, especially if the road surface is anything other than bone dry (sometimes it’ll happen on dry road surfaces too).

Jan 14, 2024
@AxelPrime125; I could hear something at 00:02 but it didn’t sound like a loud bang to me.

What brand of tyres do you have on your car? Under certain conditions (e.g. under hard acceleration from rest), some cars will suffer from wheel hop and axle tramping (@Richiepoos - I think that’s the term you were thinking of) where the tyres momentarily lose grip before grip is regained, and wheel hop / axle tramp does often make a loud banging sound. It’ll be more pronounced;
  • with some brands of tyre than others - Bridgestones have a tendency to induce wheel hop and axle tramp with enthusiastic acceleration from rest.
  • in certain weather and temperature conditions - e.g. summer tyres on a car during cold winter months - grip can be compromised when the temperature is consistently below 7°C, especially if the road surface is anything other than bone dry (sometimes it’ll happen on dry road surfaces too).
Thank you so much for this!

I bought the car second hand, so its got 3 different tyres. Michelin, eurorepar and vredestein. Dont know how good the latter two are tbh!

So would changing the wheels make the sound go away?

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Without knowing for certain what the sound is, it‘s difficult - if not impossible - to know if fitting new tyres will eliminate it. Having said that, irrespective of the sound, IMHO it’s always best to have matching tyres rather than a mix of three different brand’s as mismatched tyres might make the car’s handling unpredictable. I would always go for a good, premium brand of tyre (e.g. Michelin, Goodyear, Continental).

Also bear in mind that at this time of year, summer tyres (assuming that’s what yours are) won’t perform at their best in lower temperatures and typical UK winter weather. So with enthusiastic launches from standstill on summer tyres at this time of year, there will always be an increased chance of wheel hop / axle tramping.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members