Love but hate my car

Jan 17, 2019
If that makes sense? I’ve had my 16 plate leon 1.4 fr for 2 weeks now and although I love the engine and the way it drives there’s a few niggles that are annoying me:

1. Rattle from passenger door
2. Rattle from either under steering wheel or speedometer
3. Draught coming in from passenger door.

The rattles can only be heard when driving over rough road.

My car is going to closest seat garage which is an hour and a half from me on Wednesday to get a new window switch which has also been rattling. My car is still under manufactur warranty until April so Im going to mention these other problems. Doubt they’ll all get fixed though.

I had a ford focus previously which build quality is far better than the seat imo.

Deleted member 103408

Rattles come for free with Seats (although i have to say my old 2014 Cupra still dont have any but that may be because my exhaust drowns them out :)

If you trawl around this forum and facebook you will see lots of comments about rattles but you will also see lots of people saying how much they love the cars they are real characters and lets face it no car is perfect.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
My 2 "new" favourites at the moment are 1:- Passenger door and 2:- because I have plastic seat backs, the passenger one squeaks when I turn left.

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
Yes, it's very much luck of the draw with any car I think. My pre-facelift Mk3 Leon FR rattled from pretty much any area you could have rattles. I moved on to a Mk7 Golf GTI pre-facelift which had its fair share of rattles. I'm now on a facelift Cupra ST and it's the best of the three in these terms.

I think the reality is that there's lots of hard materials inside cars, especially "cheaper" ones. It's impossible to create a rattle free car if you're going over some of hideous roads we have, but I get that it's really annoying when they rattle over everything but freshly laid tarmac.

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
My 2 "new" favourites at the moment are 1:- Passenger door and 2:- because I have plastic seat backs, the passenger one squeaks when I turn left.
Do you have buckets ? As 8 had the same and just cut some felt fabric strips and pushed them between the contact spots and it's as quiet as a mouse now.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Leon I had, rattles galore, Ibiza Mk5 after, with exception of going over cobbled roads (could be trim vibrating more than rattling), no other rattles, Volvo V40, I thought I heard a rattle...but could be me hearing things due to being conditioned to hear these...

davidstarkey11

Jun 7, 2015
Newcastle upon Tyne
The passenger door rattle is sending me insane. To be fair it does only happen with bassy music but even at low volume it still happens! I'm going to spend a couple of hours taking the door card apart this weekend and reseal everything, hopefully this'll get rid of it. I'll do it myself as sods law if I take it into Seat it'll not rattle when they're listening for it.

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
I had a small rattle behind my dash for 3 months - it was discrete but enough to bother and I complained plenty to Seat dealer about it, to which they said "Sure... leave the car with us for 3 weeks, we will take the dash out and take a look"
Knowing their workmanship I said "How about no?" and decided to live with it - the other day I realised it has magically vanished without nothing being done :D
...hope it stays that way.

One crazy suggestion that can go either way: Drive the car on a really bumpy road (e.g cobblestones) and it will either fix it or break it completely ;)

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
The roads in central Scotland must be better than I thought, as I still have no rattles in my 2014 280, except for the Grandson's baby seat, and my Disklok in the front passenger footwell.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I must of dropped lucky MY14 Leon FR has no rattles or noises.

Was expecting them after what ive read on here but none nadda nothing.

Book it into the dealer and ask for at least a dashboard rattle. Preferebly behind the climate control works best.

'Little' John

Oct 12, 2018
I must of dropped lucky MY14 Leon FR has no rattles or noises.

Was expecting them after what ive read on here but none nadda nothing.
I've had an intermittent creak from the passenger a-pillar where it meets the dash, otherwise myMY14 Leon FR has also been rock solid.

Reactions: Compo1

Compo1

Jul 19, 2010
Looks like My14 Leons were screwed together reasonably well . Well apart from the overtightened rear LED lights that is.

AshCupra300

Sep 16, 2006
Newport, South Wales
I have just developed a rattle in the drivers door card at 9000 miles (I have had one in the passenger door since buying it, but a quick push of the card above arm rest sorts it for a good while) the one in the drivers door sounds more flimsy, like a thin metal clip has come loose and vibrates over rough roads or with a bass heavy track on at low volume.
I am just too lazy to take the door cards off and sort :whistle:

As others have said though, I had rattles in my MK7 GTD and my B9 A4 Avant, just luck of the draw.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members