Low Fuel Warning-accuracy?

homer hotspur

Dec 8, 2016
Have only had my Seat Leon 1.2 TSI for a few weeks so still trying to gauge a few things. The low fuel warning has flashed up with 50 miles remaining mileage shown on the display. The first time this happened, I filled up at 40 miles remaining. Any comments on its accuracy? Ideally, I would like to travel another 30 miles tomorrow before filling up, which would take it down to 20.

thanks

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
These things are usually pretty pessimistic, just check how many litres it takes from"empty to full" and that'll tell how much was left in the tank, ish.

andycupra

status subject to change
depends how you drive and how you have been driving up to that point. It will base predicted mileage on your recent driving, so if you have room to drive in a more sensible manner you can stretch the mileage quite alot.

Last edited:

ukoldschool

Apr 12, 2012
I've taken mine (184Tdi) past the '0' mark by about 5 miles before, but when I filled up it did take over 50 litres which was a surprise given its a 50 litre tank... must be the filler neck...

devJORD

OBD11 Wizard
Nov 14, 2014
I actually did it this morning and drove about 5 miles after the point it hit 0. I wouldn't of wanted to take it further to be honest.

I know I did close to 10 miles in the Ibiza after hitting the 0 miles mark.

homer hotspur

Dec 8, 2016
Well I carried out the, somewhat risky, experiment today and the remaining mileage was shown at 25 when I filled it up(only to the initial pump shut off, no top ups) with 49.71 litres. Given that I probably could have got a bit more in when it settled, I don't think I will go below 25 miles again unless I have no choice.

Last edited:

andycupra

status subject to change
I've taken mine (184Tdi) past the '0' mark by about 5 miles before, but when I filled up it did take over 50 litres which was a surprise given its a 50 litre tank... must be the filler neck...

tank capacity is usually from full down to when the warning light comes on.
so any mileage done after warning light may be considered as the reserve over the tank listed capacity.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.