Low mpg on leon 1l tsi 2021

Dec 7, 2021
Hi,
Ive done 3.3k miles on my leon 1l tsi so far and all time mpg shows 36 mpg. Some days it goes down as low as 31mpg. Is this normal? I tried both E5 and E10 and not much difference really. I think the car does about 40mpg on highway. I was told this is normal since its new and I still need to do more miles on the engine, is this true?

Thanks

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Sorry, don’t know if it’s normal. However, the fuel consumption in my VW is usually up to 10% worse during the winter months than at other times of the year. There are many factors that can have an adverse impact mpg;
  • Type of journeys you travel - if you’re driving mainly short journeys on a cold engine, then that won’t do your mpg any favours.
  • Time of day / volume of traffic; lots of town / city driving will have an adverse impact on your fuel consumption.
  • Tyre pressures - if your tyres are under inflated, then your mpg will be adversely affected.
  • Fuel blend - I recently learned that in addition to there being a winter blend for diesel fuel, there’s also a winter blend for petrol. Winter blend fuels tend to be less fuel efficient than non winter blended fuels.
  • Additional use of the car‘s equipment (heating, lights etc.) at this time of year can have a small detrimental impact on mpg.
  • If you‘re scraping ice of the car windows at this time of year and you have your engine running while your doing this, the car is burning petrol but not going anywhere so there’ll be an adverse impact on mpg.
How are you calculating your mpg? Are you relying on your car’s fuel computer or calculating manually by filling the tank full and dividing the distance travelled by the number of gallons used? The fuel computer in the VW’s I’ve owned have been around 5% inaccurate.

Reactions: mara
Dec 7, 2021
Sorry, don’t know if it’s normal. However, the fuel consumption in my VW is usually up to 10% worse during the winter months than at other times of the year. There are many factors that can have an adverse impact mpg;
  • Type of journeys you travel - if you’re driving mainly short journeys on a cold engine, then that won’t do your mpg any favours.
  • Time of day / volume of traffic; lots of town / city driving will have an adverse impact on your fuel consumption.
  • Tyre pressures - if your tyres are under inflated, then your mpg will be adversely affected.
  • Fuel blend - I recently learned that in addition to there being a winter blend for diesel fuel, there’s also a winter blend for petrol. Winter blend fuels tend to be less fuel efficient than non winter blended fuels.
  • Additional use of the car‘s equipment (heating, lights etc.) at this time of year can have a small detrimental impact on mpg.
  • If you‘re scraping ice of the car windows at this time of year and you have your engine running while your doing this, the car is burning petrol but not going anywhere so there’ll be an adverse impact on mpg.
How are you calculating your mpg? Are you relying on your car’s fuel computer or calculating manually by filling the tank full and dividing the distance travelled by the number of gallons used? The fuel computer in the VW’s I’ve owned have been around 5% inaccurate.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I go by the cars computer and with full tank I get 45l = 430 miles. It hasn't been that cold here in Yorkshire, past week or 2 temperatures been dropping down to 4C. I've been driving quite a bit lately, journeys ranging from 50 - 150 miles if not more.

I probably shouldn't compare my car to an aygo, but my friends aygo 90k+ miles covers twice as much distance on a full tank. I guess its because the car is lighter, but still. Hes been ragging it and still gets really good economy :D.

KoNG

Jul 27, 2016
Canning Town
I wouldn't rely to much on computer calculation if you do your own calculation for 45l you do 430 miles = 43.42MPG which in my opinion isn't too bad

Calculation
430 divided by 45 = 9.555 miles per litre.
This is 9.555 x 4.544 = 43.42 miles per gallon.

Dec 7, 2021
I wouldn't rely to much on computer calculation if you do your own calculation for 45l you do 430 miles = 43.42MPG which in my opinion isn't too bad

Calculation
430 divided by 45 = 9.555 miles per litre.
This is 9.555 x 4.544 = 43.42 miles per gallon.
Oh, you're right haha. Didn't look at it that way. Thanks

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Are you hoping to achieve Seat’s mpg figures? If yes, forget it, you won’t get near them, do a brim to brim test and calculate the numbers, repeat when the car hits 6000 miles, then 10000 miles and the weather improves, it’s quite a big car for a 1l engine so it’ll be working quite hard.

gdsl88

Oct 13, 2021
I'd be lucky to achieve mid 20s day to day, but I do relatively short journeys and not a lot of motorway driving, but I didn't buy mine for economy.

Reactions: martin j.
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members