Low oil levels no leaks...?

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Hi, oil light came on last night, topped it up a bit , it was very low, no visible leaks.
Why have I burnt or lost so much in 6 months? I don't drive like a c..t I use the power and engine but don't thrash to red line etc. Any ideas welcome, Yes it's due a service, but thought it would have had more in it.
Cheers

adm013

Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
I don't think that amount in 6 months is to much to worry about, I'm sure your aware that cars go through oil anyway, the amount varies with each car but not uncommon for up to a litre between services.

Is you car burning oil out the exhaust, is it a high mileage car?

Andy

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
it differs car to car

once warm mine bets pushed and driven steady, to the red when i feel like it, but it never uses an ounce of oil ... never had to top it up

possibly try an engine flush and a different oil manufacturer,

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Hi adm
No no oil out the back, car has full service and 75 on the clock. Yup I aware some drink more than others,just wanted to check it wasn't going to lead to more stuff packing up really.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
it differs car to car

once warm mine bets pushed and driven steady, to the red when i feel like it, but it never uses an ounce of oil ... never had to top it up

possibly try an engine flush and a different oil manufacturer,

Yaeh had a mk2 golf drank water, next one drank mucho oil.

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
as long as you keep it topped up and warm it up and cool it down as you should, you should be able to push it as much as you want, unless you're getting strange smells or noises i wouldnt worry, my previous car used to drink oil...

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Good to know, and yes always warm up for 10mins before pulling away, then drive under 3000 revs for another 5 mins. So that was why I was a little suprised it had lost so much.

adm013

Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
I don't think that warming the car up for 10 minutes before driving is entirely necessary? Probably does more harm than good in he long run I would think.

Andy

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
You think, even in this cold? you want warm oil coating all parts before you apply loading to the engine surely, more like 5 mins then? People on here think it's important to warm up before giving it beans, must be good advice no?

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
You think, even in this cold? you want warm oil coating all parts before you apply loading to the engine surely, more like 5 mins then? People on here think it's important to warm up before giving it beans, must be good advice no?

nah you want to be driving off as soon as its started, dont leave it ticking over this is where you'll use more oil to be honest, start it, drive off, keep it under 4k and full load for about 15 mins or 5 mile whichever comes first....

most peoples definition of warm up is not flooring it in the first 15 mins,

adm013

Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
Good advice not go straight out and put high load/rpm on the engine straight away from cold.

But at the same time the engine oil will warm up much quicker with the car driving along with low load/rpm on the engine than with the car sitting at idle in theory with the relatively cold oil circulating round the engine and taking longer to get up to working temperature.

Andy

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
True,
couldn't take another hit right now! Tough times!

Once its nice and warm take it for an "italian tune up" too, sometimes giving it a good blast out is more healthy for the engine every once in a while

its just a case of being mechanically sympathetic, dont be scared to used the engine, touch the red but dont have it sitting there,

warming up 5 miles or 15 mins, coolant might show 90 on the dash but the actual oil temp is circa 45-50 degrees at the time,

same with cooling down, after a good blast, drive the last 2.5 miles nice and steady off boost, and give it 20 second on the drive before shutting off.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Steely, I defo use the car and the power just don't do sustained hammering, fuel expensive too!
I try to be sensible and find a balance, usually drive calm beginning and end of journey.
Looks like I'm being good to the car so thats cool.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members