Lowering Advice

JHox

Feb 9, 2018
Market Harborough
Looking to lower my facelift Leon. Don't want to go coilovers because I want to retain as much comfort as possible and I like the drop from just springs on the Leon.

The options I have come to are as follows:
- H&R 40mm Cup suspension kit (Shocks and springs) £500+
- H&R 40mm springs £230
- Eibach Sportlines £180
- AP 30mm Lowering suspension kit (Shocks and springs) £310
https://www.dpmperformance.co.uk/car-parts/seat/leon

Bit of context, car is a January 2013 1P FR+ with 78,000 of mostly motorway miles on the clock... and 5000+ miles of crashy Leicestershire and Northamptonshire B roads too in my ownership.

Is it worth getting the uprated shocks too at this mileage or just go springs? The Eibach's and H&R's seem to be the tried and tested on here but has anyone got any experience with the quality of the AP kit?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Have you also considered the vwr kit? I've had H&R lowering springs on my fr and Cupra and find the ride quite harsh. I kind of wished I'd gone for a damper / spring kit. I've heard the prokit is more comfortable but doesn't lower as far.

If I had to do it again. I'd either go all out eibach prostreet s or vwr damper / springs.

JHox

Feb 9, 2018
Market Harborough
I've had H&R lowering springs on my fr and Cupra and find the ride quite harsh. I kind of wished I'd gone for a damper / spring kit. I've heard the prokit is more comfortable but doesn't lower as far.

Good info, I appreciate the thoughts on the H&R's ultimately I am looking for a decent ride height drop and wouldn't want to spend much more than £500 the VWR Racinglines look quality but i'm worried I wouldn't be satisfied with the claimed -25mm ride height. You mention the Eibach prostreet s which are coilovers. Are coilovers not necessarily any less comfortable than a spring and damper set up if adjusted correctly?

Finally I assume on your LCR you're just running the H&R springs on the oem VAG dampers would the full H&R kit with uprated dampers be any better do you think?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
The thing about the pro street s is they are supposed to have 2 spring rates. So if you hit a bump in the road, it should use the comfort part of the spring. If you are ragging it round the corner it uses the main part of the spring. So I figured that would work better. Yeah, I have the OEM dampers. At the start of the below vid, the guy from Eibach explains it.

Probably best thing to do is post in the DPM section of the forums and ask their advice. They can probably advise better as I'm pretty much in the same boat of not knowing what to do... just knowing I'm not happy with what I've got.

JHox

Feb 9, 2018
Market Harborough
Probably best thing to do is post in the DPM section of the forums and ask their advice. They can probably advise better as I'm pretty much in the same boat of not knowing what to do... just knowing I'm not happy with what I've got.

Thanks Jon some good food for thought seems you do get what you pay for.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise