Lowering

toca72

Aug 10, 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne
This may sound a bit of a silly question to people who have already lowered their Leons.

I asked my local mechanic the other day how much he would charge to fit a lowering kit (Thinking Eibach Sportlines) and he basically told me not to bother as it spoils the 'Geometry' of the ride etc.....what ever that means???

Anyone had any 'Geometry' issues when lowering theirs??:rofl:

He did say however, Im better off getting a remap that he could do for £200+, I think without the DPF removal but I didnt ask further at the time.

I would prefer to lower it first as I think the ride height is too high and seeing what others have done to theirs with lowering, the results look alot better compared to standard.

Is there anything I need to know first if I do decide to get mine lowered with just springs?

Cheers

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
I'll agree lowering will alter the geometry of the car.
However unless your going for something really extreme (Car scrubbing the floors extreme) then It wont matter too much. You've a number of users here that have dropped using springs and have had no issues.

If you were worried about the geometry I'd go full expensive coilovers and have it professionally setup... but theres not much point unless your using it as a bit of a track machine.

toca72

Aug 10, 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne
I'll agree lowering will alter the geometry of the car.
However unless your going for something really extreme (Car scrubbing the floors extreme) then It wont matter too much. You've a number of users here that have dropped using springs and have had no issues.

If you were worried about the geometry I'd go full expensive coilovers and have it professionally setup... but theres not much point unless your using it as a bit of a track machine.

After reading what others have done I just wanted to lower it and not to the extreme, more cosmetically so it looks better and I wont be going on track so no need for the more expensive coilovers.

So what hears my silly question, What would I notice if I just had the springs done regarding the geometry (not sure what this means)? Would it affect the handling (Not in the obvoius way) and would I need to get tracking, wheel alignmnet etc re-done?

toca72

Aug 10, 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne
The geometry and alignment can be adjusted back to standard after fitting the springs so no problems there.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Cheers Damian, you are just down the road from me so I may give you a call when the time comes :)

What would be your advice on what springs to get? The sportlines or pro's? I just looked on your site and seen Apex 35mm. I know it depends on how low to go e.g. sportlines but would the Apex or Pro make more of a subtle difference rather that extreme low I would imagine the sportlines to be with 50/35mm

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
All depends what drop you want personally really?

The Eibach Pro springs give quite a subtle drop where as the Sportlines are more of an aggresive stance.

Damian @ DPM Performance

toca72

Aug 10, 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne
All depends what drop you want personally really?

The Eibach Pro springs give quite a subtle drop where as the Sportlines are more of an aggresive stance.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Yeah im not sure as yet as a more subtle drop would be more my preference as I sometimes use my car for business trips around the country but I want to notice the drop if you know what I mean.

Paulki

Jul 12, 2006
Enfield
I have the Eibach Pro's and the drop is subtle; you will notice the drop but most people at a casual glance won't. For me, the Pro's give the Leon the ride height it should of had from the factory, and also a much better ride quality.

Aug 6, 2009
cumbria
I have H&R lowering springs fitted, when I had them fitted I had 4 wheel alignment done. My cars ride height is nice not to low that the tyres rub but low enough that it looks good.

DBD19

Feb 9, 2011
Eibach pros on and wheels realigned almost a year now and no probs.

Looks good and corners even better

You are right Leon's are too high when shipped

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.