Mapped LC - overboost/over-revving?

Mar 15, 2008
Hatfield, Herts
Hi guys,

Got a MY02 Leon Cupra (180) that's been mapped with a stage 1 generic map - lately it seems when in 3rd/4th/5th/6th at 2-3000 RPM if I boot it the engine revs rise rapidly but no power seems to go through to the wheels :(

Just fitted a new MAF in case that was the problem, and it's better but still doing it.

Haven't got a boost guage (yet) or VAGCOM - any ideas if it's something engine related, or map related - thinking it might be overboosting for some reason (software or hardware) which obviously isn't going to be good for the turbo in the long run :(

Any other suggestions as to what to try/check next? N75 valve?

Mar 15, 2008
Hatfield, Herts
Mileage is 70k - done all the usual checks for clutch on it's way - pulling away from standstill in 4th and it stalls, accelerate from 30mph in 6th and it doesn't slip :( I agree it's got the usual sound of a clutch dying, but no test corroborates that :(

Mar 15, 2008
Hatfield, Herts
Yep sounds like the clutch mate. What's the new power output?
Going to have my clutch done before I have mine remapped.

Before and after dyno shows 177bhp -> 215bhp and 180lb/ff -> 250lb/ft - been told the clutch should handle around 300lb/ft - no prior receipts with the car so not sure if clutch has been changed in the past - I'd imagine not

Jun 26, 2008
Just round the corner.
Before and after dyno shows 177bhp -> 215bhp and 180lb/ff -> 250lb/ft - been told the clutch should handle around 300lb/ft - no prior receipts with the car so not sure if clutch has been changed in the past - I'd imagine not

My cars done 84k, so don't think the clutch will last on mine if I have her remapped first (tempting as it is).

Who carried out the work for you, maybe needs slight adjusting on the remap.

Mar 15, 2008
Hatfield, Herts
My cars done 84k, so don't think the clutch will last on mine if I have her remapped first (tempting as it is).

Who carried out the work for you, maybe needs slight adjusting on the remap.

Map was done by P-Torque - would like to rule out any hardware faults before going back as it's about 300 mile round trip to them :)

mitch2028

Sep 4, 2008
Im having the same problem in my ibiza...on the motor way i go to pull off in 5th and the car will rev freely andnot to seem to put the boost down. I know its not the clutch in my car, i thought possibly the n75 valve acting up?

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Mileage is 70k - done all the usual checks for clutch on it's way - pulling away from standstill in 4th and it stalls, accelerate from 30mph in 6th and it doesn't slip :( I agree it's got the usual sound of a clutch dying, but no test corroborates that :(

if the revs rise rapidly but you dont accelerate its clutch slip.

xd-data-ii

Mar 15, 2007
San Diego
I had the exact same thing. Also wasted money on a new maf.
It is definetly your clutch slipping at around peak torque. No doubt about it. When you accelerate from lower revs in high gears you are loading it up more.
You will need to go back and get map redone/alterned for them to dial down the torque.
That's what sorted my problem and never had issue since.
It's not the clutch on the way out - you just then know the limit at the part of the mapping

xd-data-ii

Mar 15, 2007
San Diego

300?? Who said that? That's way to high especially for that old a car with those miles
250ft/lb does sound too high for the clutch- that needs to be backed off by at least 20.
It is the clutch I'm sure as is exactly like mine. All tests showed clutch was fine too so was just too much torque for it

lee_woollett

Jan 19, 2009
northampton
I had a 1984 Nissan Silvia 1.8 turbo a few years back and although it had had an easy life and the clutch seemed in good health, a raise in power of just a filter, exhaust and bleed valve (from 7psi to 12psi) wasted the clutch in about 3 months, standard clutches aren't really built for that kind of increase in power. It started in the same way that you describe, plant your foot and the revs shoot up but no speed increase. This started to only happen in 5th gear but then got worse quickly (matter of weeks) and eventually you had to feather the throttle otherwise the clutch would slip and start to overheat and stink.

Sorry but it looks like you're going to have to stump up some cash for a new clutch.

xd-data-ii

Mar 15, 2007
San Diego
You don't have to get a new clutch. It's fine.
Just get the map altered
But if you are steadfast you won't let the torque be slightly less then you will need to get a new clutch

Mar 15, 2008
Hatfield, Herts
xd-data-ii - Cheers, that explains it well (along with someone else I know with the same map who had the same thing - slight overboost at full throttle which on mine at least is causing the peak torque to make the clutch slip)

Looks like 2 options available (and no, a new clutch isn't one of them) - get the map altered to reduce the peak torque to preserve the life of the clutch, or boost guage and manual boost controller to work in conjunction with the N75 to stop the over-boost on the map which should then in theory reduce the peak torque.

The MBC controller seems a better solution in the longer term - if I do get a new/uprated clutch in the future I can then remove/dial-up the MBC again without having to go back to get the map altered again.

Cheers for your help people!

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
300?? Who said that? That's way to high especially for that old a car with those miles
250ft/lb does sound too high for the clutch- that needs to be backed off by at least 20.
It is the clutch I'm sure as is exactly like mine. All tests showed clutch was fine too so was just too much torque for it

depends on the clutch. maybe mines different but its the original on 85k and it copes with 320lbs/ft and has done for 2 years.:shrug:

id find out what clutch you have before touching the map, incase its on its way out. im sure Will would know.

xd-data-ii

Mar 15, 2007
San Diego
Yeah sounds right.
I'd be interested to know more about the manual boost controller alright.

Uprating the clutch and any other stuff is really not worth it as at this stage as its gonna be a big percentage of the total worth of the car, sadly.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.