MASSES of black smoke during mk2 remap

gateofoblivion

Jul 26, 2018
Apologies first of all if this is the wrong place.

I went to get my mk2 leon 2.0 TDI remapped today by a reputable tuning company. Everything was going great on the dyno, but on only the first map tweak my exhaust started spewing a huge amount of black smoke on the acceleration. He immediately cut the engine and basically said it should not do that especially on the first/lightest map. He did not feel it was wise to carry on so we stopped.

He suggested it may be a bad turbo, I am just wondering if anyone else had any input as I'm gutted right now :(

ray

Jan 7, 2016
Isn’t black smoke just too much fuel? A turbo going would normally show white plus I’m sure you would notice some issues with the turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deleted member 103408

who was the tuning company and did they put it back to stock or leave it

DavieTDI

Brain dead
Aug 3, 2013
kilmarnock Scotland
I get the feeling it was a crap map and over fuelling. He is trying to blame it on the turbo not boosting to give the proper air fuel ratio. But if it’s fine back at stock then make your own mind up

gateofoblivion

Jul 26, 2018
Isn’t black smoke just too much fuel? A turbo going would normally show white plus I’m sure you would notice some issues with the turbo.

I get the feeling it was a crap map and over fuelling. He is trying to blame it on the turbo not boosting to give the proper air fuel ratio. But if it’s fine back at stock then make your own mind up

I would agree but he is a seemingly reputable tuner. I don't want to mention who exactly it was in case it reflects badly. I really don't know if it was my car or the map, I would assume if it was the map he would know how to adjust it as it was a custom map?

ray

Jan 7, 2016
Some of these people just use other company’s to send them the map, so although they’re “custom” really it’s just a generic map sent from someone else. He may have just loaded it up and this was the result.

Deffo just sounds like over feeling and nothing to be worried about, is your car stock apart from that?

Deleted member 103408

I would not make that assumption that he knows how to adjust (other than take it back to stock), I agree with what ray said.

Why did you think they were a reputable tuning company, was it there web site or have you seen good reviews on this site / facebook.

However on the good side you did not have to pay for anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

gateofoblivion

Jul 26, 2018
Some of these people just use other company’s to send them the map, so although they’re “custom” really it’s just a generic map sent from someone else. He may have just loaded it up and this was the result.

Deffo just sounds like over feeling and nothing to be worried about, is your car stock apart from that?

100% stock afaik, although the dyno said it was 11BHP (151BHP when it was supposed to be 140BHP) over how much it should be which he said had never seen that much above stock before. No tuning chips or anything like that, engine code was factory.

I would not make that assumption that he knows how to adjust (other than take it back to stock), I agree with what ray said.

Why did you think they were a reputable tuning company, was it there web site or have you seen good reviews on this site / facebook.

However on the good side you did not have to pay for anything.

Yeah maybe, they had good reviews on Google/Facebook but I think the best thing I can do is try with a better more well known company. I'm sure they would have more to say if something did go wrong as it did yesterday.

Thank you so much for the responses everyone, was expecting this to get buried into nothingness :)

ray

Jan 7, 2016
I thought about this earlier and was going to ask but you’ve answered it for me.

Your car is the 140bhp version, I would bet money he has assumed it was the 170bhp version so loaded a map for that model, therefor requesting too much fuel for the turbo and throwing black smoke out the back.

The result is probably good for you as I wouldn’t be taking it anywhere near someone who can’t even check what power output a car is before loading a map. Never mind doing a health check before doing so.

Some people are just cowboys, they have all the tools to switch maps etc but this (if I’m right) is the exact reason why people should avoid such “tuners”. Count yourself lucky

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
This situation is a bit perplexing I have to say.

Rolling roads aren't cheap and neither is renting a commercial premises to operate it in. Very strange that someone serious enough to map on a rolling road doesn't have the equipment / knowledge / experience to diagnose a fuelling issue.

linfordfr

nardo grey
Nov 9, 2015
south yorkshire
as others have mentioned.... overfuelling. youve got the pd so if you want a real custom map then you need to see jamie on here. done my old pds. if you havnt any other mods then again like others have said just get a generic 'what companys claim custom' i have recommendations depending where you are

Pye_FR170

May 15, 2018
No smoke no poke.....gotta love a mapped TDI esp when yoi jave a wee chav/ned in a souped up fiesta or corsa waybthe windows down giving it large

gateofoblivion

Jul 26, 2018
as others have mentioned.... overfuelling. youve got the pd so if you want a real custom map then you need to see jamie on here. done my old pds. if you havnt any other mods then again like others have said just get a generic 'what companys claim custom' i have recommendations depending where you are

Jamie? Who is Jamie? Sorry I am new to this forum

gateofoblivion

Jul 26, 2018

I'm in Bristol btw

linfordfr

nardo grey
Nov 9, 2015
south yorkshire
Jamie? Who is Jamie? Sorry I am new to this forum

Jamie kilner a lot of old users on this forum will vouch for him. I can also tell you what most wont no is that he actually used to write files for a big company. If you arnt running any mods then it isn't worth a custom file writing to be honest. Unless you just want Jamie to work his majic. Last time I saw him was when I had the yellow mark2 spent all afternoon writing a file for it, two front tyres later :whistle:

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.