melted pipes near downpipe....help

M87NER

MATNER
Mar 11, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent
Hi,

Heard my heat shield rattling this morning so just had my car jacked up to investigate and my heatshield was sitting on top off my downpipe and there are 2 pipes that run over the heat shield which both have a rubber surrounding in a shape of a star.. these have half melted on the heat shield......now i have fixed my heatshield back up as best as i can but what are these 2 pipes... should i be worried... can get pics up with request...

thanks

Feb 25, 2007
cheshire
those two pipes sound like your gear linkage cables. if they are not melted to bad they should be fiine. mine have melted abit if the rubber surrounding the cables due to heat so i covered them in kitchen foil lol top modding lol- works tho and nobody can see

cupramillo

The "Red Baron"
Feb 24, 2008
South London
M87NER did you get a nasty burning smell when this happens? Mine started doing this since i had to BF turbo back on. Only does it when the car is ragged though

M87NER

MATNER
Mar 11, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent
cool yeh well its the rubber bits that have melted... well its going in for a mot tomorrow so if its bad they will say something

carnt say i got a burning smell from this...never noticed as its probably happened over a couple week period....

SidewaysCupra

Mar 20, 2007
Carmarthen
Sorry to bring this back up again but i've just been out sorting out my rattling downpipe and my gear linkage has melted really badly.

I have wrapped the worst parts in tin foil for now. Does anybody have any other ways of protecting them?

Dec 3, 2007
cardiff
that wont be a problem but why would you want to cover then. its not really a big issue. as the rubber is not that important. its to stop the pipes vibrating and knocking (metal on metal)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise