MIB2, USB and Android Auto Problem

May 18, 2024
Background
Seat Alhambra Late 2015
MIB 2 Nav Technosat head unit in dashboard with two SD slots
Dealer installed retrofit USB module in centre armrest console for FullLink

Cabled AndroidAuto works almost flawlessly with my Samsung S23Ultra. Connection can be twitchy to disconnections over bumps etc, accepted could be loose USB cable connections. However also noticed that the installed port does not deliver much voltage and often the phobe reports 'slow charging.' If I use AndroidAuto under heavy load of Google Maps and Deezer streaming, battery can decrease slowly while plugged in via USB.

Is this a faulty or outdated USB module that can be replaced?

So then my biggest problem now is that I'm trying to connect in a wireless AndroidAuto unit to save me plugging and unplugging the phone ten or twenty times a day...

AAwireless "should" work with any head unit that allows wired AndroidAuto.

But it doesn't. It powers up, it pairs with the phone, but it doesn't make a connection to the MIB2 via the multimedia USB port. It doesn't trigger a USB error. It literally just doesn't get recognised.

I took this to a MIB User Group on Telegram based atound MIBHelper...

Not much help there. I just got users telling me to buy a Carlinkit 5 and how their identical cars or MIB2 systems work perfectly with it.

But it does the same. No connection. Just power.

Yet wired AndroidAuto works.

So I'm suspecting USB module at fault rather than 'incompatible' MIB2...

In the meanwhile I used VCDS to allow me to add in MIBToolbox... I've updated MIB2 firmware from a low 02XX to 0252...

Carlinkit are scratching their heads and say it works with Alhambra 2016 MIB2...

I've been advised that 2015 Alhambra MIB2 is same hardware as 2015 and can ve updated with newer firmwares...

Will 03XX firmware solve this problem?

It's almost like MIB2 has no ability to host USB devices.

Can anyone shed light on getting to the bottom of this, please?

Attachments

• 20240518_044615.jpg
    20240518_044615.jpg
    587.3 KB · Views: 24

Tell

Staff member
Background
Seat Alhambra Late 2015
MIB 2 Nav Technosat head unit in dashboard with two SD slots
Dealer installed retrofit USB module in centre armrest console for FullLink

Cabled AndroidAuto works almost flawlessly with my Samsung S23Ultra. Connection can be twitchy to disconnections over bumps etc, accepted could be loose USB cable connections. However also noticed that the installed port does not deliver much voltage and often the phobe reports 'slow charging.' If I use AndroidAuto under heavy load of Google Maps and Deezer streaming, battery can decrease slowly while plugged in via USB.

Is this a faulty or outdated USB module that can be replaced?

So then my biggest problem now is that I'm trying to connect in a wireless AndroidAuto unit to save me plugging and unplugging the phone ten or twenty times a day...

AAwireless "should" work with any head unit that allows wired AndroidAuto.

But it doesn't. It powers up, it pairs with the phone, but it doesn't make a connection to the MIB2 via the multimedia USB port. It doesn't trigger a USB error. It literally just doesn't get recognised.

I took this to a MIB User Group on Telegram based atound MIBHelper...

Not much help there. I just got users telling me to buy a Carlinkit 5 and how their identical cars or MIB2 systems work perfectly with it.

But it does the same. No connection. Just power.

Yet wired AndroidAuto works.

So I'm suspecting USB module at fault rather than 'incompatible' MIB2...

In the meanwhile I used VCDS to allow me to add in MIBToolbox... I've updated MIB2 firmware from a low 02XX to 0252...

Carlinkit are scratching their heads and say it works with Alhambra 2016 MIB2...

I've been advised that 2015 Alhambra MIB2 is same hardware as 2015 and can ve updated with newer firmwares...

Will 03XX firmware solve this problem?

It's almost like MIB2 has no ability to host USB devices.

Can anyone shed light on getting to the bottom of this, please?
You might be pushing the technology. Are you sure those USB sockets are 2 amp. The original USB car sockets were 1 amp in many vehicles, the amp out may be tied to the head unit.

Either way the latest mib3 are said to have issues in keeping AAW working. Android Auto is a drain on power and its going to be how efficient you phone is, leads etc. You'll see @East Yorkshire Retrofits say in the past that for long journeys AAW won't work.

Well I reckon you probably have USB ports that are not 2amp if it takes its power from the unit and old mib2 probably only puts out 1amp... unless the power is separated from the data and audio channel in the wiring of the USB and that may be an old unit. So that's the obvious question.

You say your phone is saying slow charging. That's the flag for the power being 1 amp, least it was prior to fast charging, where that's flagged to its 1amp I reckon since that's what the phone is basically telling you. Then you have the conundrum of whether a wireless charger get get enough power into the unit to run AAW continuously. You need 2 amp on modern phones.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.