Mirrors and cambelt!! :)

toaophil

Nov 24, 2009
Hey guys, 2 things. I'm a recent new owner(and in love with) an 03 cupra 1.8T petrol. When does the cam belt need doing? I'm on 40k now.

Also, can I get carbon fibre miror covers? Like the fr?

Cheers all. :)

BlackLeon

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
Called Seat last week, every 4 years or 60,000 miles which ever comes first. It's not cheap either! Mine needs doing in may :( only been 25k since it was last changed. Make sure you get the water pump changed too.

toaophil

Nov 24, 2009
every 4 years? Oh crap.

Yeah i have tear drop mirors. I found shiney crome mirror caps on ebay.. but i recon they might look a bit too much if you know what i mean.

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
You can cover them yourself

31940736.jpg

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
The chromed mirror caps are an official Seat option IIRC. I bought some carbon mirror caps for my square mirrors a couple of months ago but wasn't happy with the quality (see my reader's ride topic) so I sent them back and kept mine black

toaophil

Nov 24, 2009
just to let anyone know - I have the 2003 180 cupra, the engine is that from a golf GTi just tuned higher. Therefore the cambelts life is over 100k. However they do suffer with water pump failures much earlier on which will obviously lead to the inevitable. I recently heard of a pump going at 43k. But i'd imagine they were ragging the car alot.

Anyway if anyone knows of a place to get carbon fibre mirror caps, let me know. Or perhaps a company that does custom produce etc.

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
just to let anyone know - I have the 2003 180 cupra, the engine is that from a golf GTi just tuned higher. Therefore the cambelts life is over 100k. However they do suffer with water pump failures much earlier on which will obviously lead to the inevitable. I recently heard of a pump going at 43k. But i'd imagine they were ragging the car alot.

Anyway if anyone knows of a place to get carbon fibre mirror caps, let me know. Or perhaps a company that does custom produce etc.

you've been ill informed mate, its not a golf gti engine, the golf Mk4 and leon cupra 180 use the same chassis, so the engine is identical (anniversary 180 golf) the 150 Ko3 turbo'd was also used but not as a 150 in the leon ,

if you run a cambelt to 100k you're a fool, all 20 valves of the 1.8t are run off one cam sprocket to a transfer chain at the other end of the exhaust cam, so under more load than a conventional double over head cam engine which would have two cam sprockets for inlet and exhaust

i changed my 180 lc 2003 belt last year with 36k on the clock and it was knackered, dont risk it, a 3rd party company also manufactured a metal impellor waterpump which was an upgrade to the VAG plastic one,

use search mate, A lot of SCN members are an oracle of knowledge, this has been covered god knows how many times

Last edited:

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
better to be safe than sorry mate, id hate to smash 20 valves up, a lot of the time it take the head with it on these engines,

you having a blast yourself? its a respectble 100-120 to DIY it (pump, coolant, tensioners. cambelt, job lot) and 4-5 hours on a sunday ;) (like i did) or 360 ish to have a mech do t for you,

with cambelts i found it more to be failure due to age than mileage covered, so id be more scared of a 30k 6 year old belt than an 80k 2 year old belt

Last edited:

toaophil

Nov 24, 2009
Na, i wouldnt be any good at DIY. I only do the basics! I got a friend who does all my work for me at trade price. And when you own a cupra or VW/Audi thats a very handy thing to have! And 4-5 hours on a Sunday!? THAT is respectable! It takes me that long to wax it. :) It had its first wax of 2010 today. Nothing like a gleaming car in the sun.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise