Misfuel advice - petrol in 2011 2.0 tdi sport 140bhp

pfitz

So my car was borrowed with basically empty tank, it was reading maybe 20 miles left on the computer. The borrower put a few quid of petrol in before realising but then decided to move the car a few yards. :cry::cry: Had the AA out to drain tank and add some additive, then i've filled tank full.

Taken it for a drive and feels kind of normal, perhaps slightly less power. Not sure if I am being paranoid but when stopped if I rev engine and with head out of car, there seems to be a high pitched kind of insect noise / squeel when taking foot off the pedal from the driver side. Never noticed this before but maybe normal.

Has anyone had similar experience, I see lots of worst case examples online but are there any definate things to change / check /do / not do. AA advice was just to keep tank topped up but there paperwork has lots of caveats on it about changing fuel filter, pump, injectors, fuel rail and pipes etc etc etc

Thanks in advance

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
Aa were right i did it on old car years ago keep topping tank up and add fuel additive and it will flush it through. May be idea to change filters as precaution. Might run like a dog for a few mile

NickCupraR

NickIbiza
Mar 2, 2009
Chichester Portsmouth Area
My mum did this to my old MK 4 ibiza. Brimmed it with petrol drove it moved it 200yards parked up to get something out the boot and then it wouldn't restart again. AA guy drained the tank and it ran fine. It's worse putting diesel in a petrol! Your prob a little paranoid about the noises. Give it a motorway blast and all shud be gd!

pfitz

Thanks Marty. My worry is the newer engine is much higher pressure than older cars but perhaps that's misplaced. I know if I go for a dealer check they will find something (always do). Going to take for another run a bit later.

Fingers crossed all ok

pfitz

Cheers. Probably paranoid. Filters are a good idea as they will soak up all that petrol!

Ben750

May 14, 2013
Pontefract, West Yorks.
It's worse putting diesel in a petrol!

No it's not. Petrol is more abrasive than diesel, it wrecks seals if they aren't designed for it and doesn't lubricate like diesel does.

I should think in this case you'll be fine though, sounds like the petrol was taken out before it had chance to do any damage.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Diesel causes petrol engines to run on when switched off, it also causes super high compression and can crack heads and bend con rods.

Petrol in modern diesels can ruin the internal bearings within the pump and damage injectors.

Neither are particularly good for your lump but its generally deemed that diesel in a petrol can cause more major damage. Pumps are designed to prevent you from putting diesel in most petrols but the odd muppet still manages to accomplish said feat.

pfitz

The fact the tank was empty worried me as this mix would be of such a high proportion. Seems to run ok so will keep an eye / ear on it, lucky didn't get driven for more than a minute so hopefully nothing got into the fuel system proper.

Muppets be warned though, draining it cost £200 but compared to a new fuel system that's peanuts.

Copra68

Jun 10, 2013
Keep it filled with v power or bp ultimate is the best thing to do so thats its running a high quality diesel, id also change the filter for all it costs.

Roganjosh

Jan 1, 2013
Did this last week, pretty much empty tank, think it was reading 20 miles, stuck 10 litres of petrol in before I caught on, filled it to the very top with diesel and then did 10 miles and added half a litre of engine oil, initially it struggled a couple of times on startup but its fine now, just keep taking it down to half a tank and refilling to dilute it out, will stick another bit of engine oil in the tank to keep it well lubricated because of the petrol

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.