MK2 Cupra MAF

Paddy

Devil's advocate!
Jun 30, 2014
Glasgow
Hello!

I have a quick question aroudn the MAF in the 2.0 TFSI (bwj)...

I haven't driven by Cupra in the best part of 9 months. Recently, after a c.100 mile drive, the engine idle roughly with an engine management light.

Since then, the car has been rought on idle and will occasionally stall/cut out at low speeds/lose acceleration...

I have replaced the plugs and coil pack. The engine runs the same with the MAF unplugged which leads me to think the MAF is faulty.

I've tried cleaning this with MAF cleaner and leaving it to air dry - but this hasn't helped.

My next port of call is to replace the MAF... Though I'm confused when it comes to buying this part as some MAF sensors come with a housing... Is it best to replace with a sensor that has this housing or but the sensor 'stick' as per the original?

(examples found here: https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/seat/leon-1p1/20049/12906/mass-airflow-sensor-airflow-meter)

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Ghostface

Feb 26, 2020
Just replace the stick, you'll only want to replace the housing aswell if it's damaged and by what your saying it wouldn't be damaged from just sitting there. Same symptoms with the maf unplugged is very highly likely to be culprit. Hopefully that fixes your problem.

Paddy

Devil's advocate!
Jun 30, 2014
Glasgow
Just replace the stick, you'll only want to replace the housing aswell if it's damaged and by what your saying it wouldn't be damaged from just sitting there. Same symptoms with the maf unplugged is very highly likely to be culprit. Hopefully that fixes your problem.
Perfect mate - thanks v.much.

Will update after I've changed to keep any observers in the loop!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members