Move selector lever to position P - fixed

Gaz9000

Oct 14, 2021
Hi All,

I've been receiving the error above intermittently and so I fixed it using the bypass switch/module as per all of the youtube videos. Best price I could find is £87.

What I didn't find at any time was a Leon Mk3 guide and it would seem that all of the VW and Skoda models are slightly different from our Leons (Audi owners dont seem to want to help their brethren!).

So, you can avoid any steps that want you to remove whole dash or centre tunnel top/sides/surround, handbrake or anything like that - its simply not necessary as long as you have patience and smallish hands.

It's easy enough to get to this stage...although top tip is NEVER grab the gaiter to pull the surround or outer surrounds out. You'll stretch the "leather" and itll sort of deform when trying to put the inner back into the outer.

20220929_181930.jpg

You can leave in any screws that you can see I've taken out.

What you now need to do it take off the side panel at your left leg. This opens up enough of the gubbbins to do the remainder of the task.

Look in front/underneath the lever and take out that foam right in the middle of the photo. Looks like its just stuffed in there to prevent any wires rubbing or making any vibrations.

20220930_184504.jpg

Now go back to your gear lever and get yourself a nice long hacksaw blade. Part number 3Q0-713-128 would NOT fit my late 2015 Cupra ST without some butchery to a non essential piece of plastic.

20220930_185738.jpg

See that dotted line? Put your hacksaw vertical and cut along it. It's dead space under there so you can't cut anything but there is a wire clipped a smidge nearer to you as you can see. You can move it if you want. The bends in the preform of the selector indicator wire suggest it'll never get tangled in the mechanism but you can put it back later.

20220930_190141.jpg

Could have been neater but oh well...

This piece has to go. You cant fit the module under or over or remove any of the foam or anything. Its simply two pieces of rigid plastic that will interfere and prevent you going any further.

Now we're going to loosely fit the new module with the three longer screws provided and then get to stuffing the connectors down through the opening in all the plastic right smack bang in front of the lever. This is where you need to be good at slotting the square plug through the square holes. The connectors have little tabs on them too so theyll want to keep catching the opening. Have patience and keep aiming right for the middle of the space you cant really see!

20220930_190714.jpg

Ooh the next ones poor quality but you get the gist. Push the two connectors through hole separately and we're nearly done.

20220930_190801.jpg

To get the old one out, get a flat head screwdriver, put it in the pretty generous and obvious clip you can see, then move the screwdriver left and keep going.

In the photo below the new blue clip is upside down cos I hadnt sorted it it out at that point. Just move the screwdriver all the way left and it'll pop.
20220930_191144.jpg

Then fit your old blue connector to your new purple one, and slide the little foam boot over the connection. Then clip the new blue one in. It takes a bit of force, I've never seen a clip like that before but it'll snap shut when its in.

Follow the other guides for how to nip the module up tight and in the right position. Hoover out all of the previous owners dog hair and crisps and refit all your plastics.

Reactions: HAZZ and Walone

Gaz9000

Oct 14, 2021
Oh and one other thing. You'll need your keys in, lever moved to D and your door open - this will make the continuous warning alarm throughout most of the activity, if you do it this way, so put some earphones in.

Cheers

Reactions: eltawater

eltawater

Full and wholesome member
May 1, 2008
Nice one and thanks for the write up! My cupra ST has started playing up with this error, I just have to find the time and the brave pill to take apart my gear lever to discover which colour of supplementary switch I need.

Where did you buy yours if you don't mind me asking please?

Gaz9000

Oct 14, 2021
Cheapest part inc postage was Dennis Horton & Son, a Lincoln based Skoda dealer. The part prices seem to vary a little bit but then the cheap postage was the clincher.

WRT pulling the surrounds off, I'd just start towards the front where there are 2 green unbreakable clips (see above) and then work your way backwards and round. They're more like notches the part sits in rather than moulded plastic that'll snap. Deffo dont work backwards forwards cos the rearmost seem to hook under the plastic more. Then once the larger surround is out, you can unhook the leather gaiter surround much easier cos you can see what you're doing.

Dunno if it even makes a difference but I've always tried to loosen any clips after they're warmed from a drive or having the heating on. In my mind it makes them pliable and not so likely to be cold, brittle and snap on ya. Probs just psychological :D

Reactions: eltawater

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Dunno if it even makes a difference but I've always tried to loosen any clips after they're warmed from a drive or having the heating on. In my mind it makes them pliable and not so likely to be cold, brittle and snap on ya. Probs just psychological :D
IMO you are correct, I remember when I used to strip the plastic trims on cars to fit various equipment, if it was cold the trim would split or crack, particularly Vauxhall and Ford cars.

Reactions: Gaz9000
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members