Need advice...which model to purchase???

Neil27

Feb 14, 2008
Lincoln
The missus and I currently own a lovely 04 Cupra TDI in platinum grey. It is really our second car, as I drive an Audi A4 through work. However we are looking to change to the new Leon but are unsure of which model to get.
We both hope to go to the dealers tomorrow to test drive a few and talk prices etc.

The main problem is the mileage that the wife does in the Leon. Over the last 3 1/2 years she has only done 23k, so on reflection would a diesel make sense? Also a lot of the journeys are very low miles, so the diesel engine isn't at its most efficient. Would a petrol engine make more sense?

When we called in a couple of weeks ago the sales guy was very enthusiastic about the 1.4 tsi rather than the 1.9 tdi and I can see his point.
Newer more modern engine, quite brisk in comparison to the diesel and decent mpg. Looking at the brochures we are leaning towards either the 1.4 tsi or 1.9 tdi stylance models.

We are unsure of which one though. Diesel we know and love but due to the low mileage is it worth it? Will the 1.4 seem underpowered in comparison, even though the spec sheets paint a rosy picture?...:help:

Maybe the test drives will help tomorrow (obviously) but I just wanted to get impressions from current Leon MK 2 owners.

All comments welcome.

Cheers, Neil.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gib83

Neeow!!
Mar 3, 2007
Sheffield
Hi Neil,

I've currently got a 1.6 stylance. I only do about 9000 miles a year so was looking at a diesel too. But in the long run I had to take into account the extra cost of the car along with the extra cost of diesel at the pumps and it would have been a while before I started to see the savings.

With my 1.6 is costs me about £50 to fill the tank and I can usually get about 330-350 miles out of that, given that most of my driving is in town to work and back, usually in traffic too. According to the computer at the end of a fortnight I usually average between 35 - 39mpg, which for round town I don't think is too bad.

I think the test drives will be key in deciding which model to go for, just thought i'd share my experiences of a 1.6 stylance. Its a nice car with plenty of pull at low revs. Its more than capable of town and motorway driving, it handles the motorway with ease, plus a generous spec list to match.

Hope you have fun in the dealers and enjoy your test drives.

beejten

Dec 6, 2007
Scotland
The 1.4 looks a very attractive car. The dealers are praising it at every oppurtunity, its 125bhp will mean it isnt slow off the mark also it will be cheaper tax i would think compared to the 1.9tdi.

If you dont do too much miles as you say, the 1.4 seems the better choice as diesel is so expensive!!
Whatever you choose it will be an excellent car either way.

Neil27

Feb 14, 2008
Lincoln
Many thanks for the responses guys.
We did look at the 1.6, but as the 1.4 is more powerful and better economy we seem attracted to that option.
I think the 1.9 tdi is in a tax band lower than the 1.4 tsi though.

Looking at the cost of each stylance model the 1.4 is 14,750 and the 1.9 tdi is 14,895 so you don't really get penalised over choosing a diesel. Makes the diesel more attractive to be honest. Better economy, better tax band, more torque.
Maybe the test drive will reveal more than the spec sheets.

Cheers, Neil.

S8N

I posed thred yarp?
Apr 8, 2007
Manchester
With that little amount of mileage and A4 during the week, I would buy a petrol FR DSG and have a car to really play with :D

Neil27

Feb 14, 2008
Lincoln
With that little amount of mileage and A4 during the week, I would buy a petrol FR DSG and have a car to really play with :D

Ouch, 18,495 pounds - I could try with the missus and it is valentine night, perhaps another bottle of wine may help.....:cheeky:

PhilYerBoots

Jan 1, 2008

I agree with S8N...it's great to drive esp. with DSG...:D...but if your budget's around £15K you'd probably be looking at a used 07 plate at best for a basic model with few options...and don't expect much more than 30mpg...

If you're looking to buy new though, the 1.4 TSI does look good value on paper but extended test drives are the way to decide.....good luck with your choice...:)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members