Need help with a boat....

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Morning All,

My bosses, bosses, bosses boss has a small boat (probably a luxury liner or something) and he is OCD about cleaning like myself and my boss lol

He has on the front of the boat (left and right) what looks to be the same material as my rear diffuser which is but isn't plastic... I want to say GRP but that's because he mentioned that it was after saying I had dirty exhausts...

The problem he has is the following...

The black plastic (GRP) has faded half way as this bit hits the sun constantly and the other half looks fine... He want's to try to bring it back to life before respraying if possible as he would have to do all the bits on the boat so they're the same haha and I feel his pain.

As it's not like my scuttle where I can use Megs back to black etc as it's a gloss type finish... Does anyone have any ideas or tricks that may help? I've never really needed to treat my rear diffuser so not quite sure...

Cheers

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012

Deleted member 103408

GRP stands for Glassfibre Reinforced Plastic – a plastic resin ( polyester resin, epoxy resin, vinyl ester resin, Isophthalic resin and phenolic resin) reinforced with glassfibre mat or woven fabric.

not sure if this helps https://www.ehow.co.uk/how_8714168_paint-grp-boat.html as obviously I would use fairy liquid to bring back the color :)

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
GRP stands for Glassfibre Reinforced Plastic – a plastic resin ( polyester resin, epoxy resin, vinyl ester resin, Isophthalic resin and phenolic resin) reinforced with glassfibre mat or woven fabric.

not sure if this helps https://www.ehow.co.uk/how_8714168_paint-grp-boat.html as obviously I would use fairy liquid to bring back the color :)
It does help indeed, so one assumes that it's more like my TRC front splitter, Fiberglas with a gel type coating, it's more and more likely that he's going to need to take all these bits off the boat and get them all re sprayed instead of getting it back to what it was...

Deleted member 103408

I suspect you are right but I have also seen some articles saying the color can be put in when creating the GRP so there may be more than one option.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Could it be gelcoat. Gelcoat is quite popular in the marine industry

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
It's possible I need a close up picture of it really as all i've had it a description...

I removed your picture as it had your post code on it lol

I will let him know and see what we get

ChrisJKM

Aug 21, 2018
North Yorkshire
It's possible I need a close up picture of it really as all i've had it a description...

I removed your picture as it had your post code on it lol

I will let him know and see what we get
Ahh cheers pal I didn't even notice that ....oops

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PP Gareth

Forum Sponsor
Apr 2, 2019
Those of us old enough to have had one or two mk2 and mk3 golfs will have tried this, It was a great way to bring back the colour after the textured part of the bumper had faded in the sun

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Those of us old enough to have had one or two mk2 and mk3 golfs will have tried this, It was a great way to bring back the colour after the textured part of the bumper had faded in the sun
Never thought of that but i'm not sure if GRP type material will respond like we'd want lol it's effectively the same as my rear diffuser
IMG_20190401_155435-2320x1305__01.jpg

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.