New Front Springs for '14 Ibiza 1.2TSI I-Tech

RichB

Jul 7, 2017
Weston, Stafford
The front offside spring has snapped on my son's Ibiza and looking on ECP website there are options for sports or non-sports suspension when entering his reg. Can I assume that the sports suspension would be applicable for a sports model such as the FR and that the I-Tech model will need non-sports suspension?

Also, is it recommend to do both sides rather than only the one broken?

Cheers.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'd think that if you have time, get the colour coding off the springs currently on that car, and try to buy Lemforder springs from maybe GSF or any other outlet. Also look up their online cat to get the correct springs.

ECP at least on their website, are really bad at letting you pick the wrong springs, maybe even on this or the Skoda forum, pictures of an Ibiza or Fabia "up on stilts" due to bad parts suggestions on ECP website! I'd think that if you walked into any of their branches you would walk out with the correct parts though.

If you are replacing the front springs, and yes replace both sides on a car of that age, also replace the top mounting, top bearing and the strut top lock nut, there is also a lower down nut that I replace as well but maybe that is overkill. For one side you will need to remove the drive shaft nut, so buy a new one of them as well - probably only the RHS that needs the drive shaft released from the hub to increase the clearance, Also you might need to replace the strut clamping nut and bolt on both sides and have a handy little wedge tool to ease the the hub assembly open enough to release the bottom of the strut, from memory that clamping bolt has an M14 multi spline female head. Laser Tools and other provide a hub expanding tool.

Edit:- just to make things slightly harder for you, there was a change of parts in the front strut assemblies during the production run, the lower special nut and bearing changed as maybe did the top mounting - to get rid of the possibility of knocking that earlier cars suffered from. My daughter's Ibiza was a late 2009 so that was why I replaced the lower nut on that one as I was buying the later bearing and top mounting - I put Pagid springs on it, checked their application list online, and that car ended up "a bit high" at the front after that! It was a 1.4 16V 85PS so the lighter engine option!

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.