New here: Question about Mk 1 Door Seals

Feb 28, 2021
Hello everyone,

I've lurked here for the last year or so and I have driven Seats (Cordoba, Leon) most of my driving life.

I have a Seat Leon 2001, and I have been having trouble with wet floors (which I now understand is a well-known problem?!)

Would anyone know the best place to find replacement door seals for the front passenger and driver doors? This is for the frame on the car panel, not the actual door. Sorry for not knowing the exact terms.

Or if not, is there anything out there that is good to buy and fit to make it more waterproof?

Any help appreciated, and this is my first post, so cheers for your time!

Feb 28, 2021
I had tried looking on there but I could not seem to find for exactly the right doors or this model. I will keep looking though, thanks.

Headsnap

Aug 14, 2014
Oxfordshire
Hi mate, I had this issue a few years ago. I removed the old seals (I had to get a screwdriver into the seal channel to scrape it out) and replaced it with butyl tape. I got the 8mm thick stuff (I think, it wasn’t too thick anyway) from eBay for about a tenner. It sticks really well and when you tighten the inner card to the door it squashes the tape and creates a lovely seal. There is a how to guide on the MK1 FAQs as well so have a look at that, I used it and it was a great help.

smutts

Apr 12, 2020
Builders merchants, get a skeleton gun & a tube of butyl mastic (gutter sealant), £10 all in or a lot less.
Butyl is best as it never really sets.
Even if it's on a damp surface, it will grab the surfaces and seal once the moisture dries out "one sunny day".
The only hard bit is getting it to stay there first if the surfaces are damp.
If dry, then happy days.

Do the doors.

Then rip out the front wiper mechanism and in the scuttle/ plenum you will find that
same miserably useless "sealant tape" used for the cabin air intake and the wiring loom grommet plug.
The holes are rectangular & mirror each other.

I've been nice & dry for six years since.

IF you ever have to take off the rear bumper, I think there are a couple of vents that go into the boot that will be uncovered.
Butyl around these, and the boot might be drier. (others may confirm or deny).

Best of luck.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Builders merchants, get a skeleton gun & a tube of butyl mastic (gutter sealant), £10 all in or a lot less.
Butyl is best as it never really sets.
Even if it's on a damp surface, it will grab the surfaces and seal once the moisture dries out "one sunny day".
The only hard bit is getting it to stay there first if the surfaces are damp.
If dry, then happy days.

Do the doors.

Then rip out the front wiper mechanism and in the scuttle/ plenum you will find that
same miserably useless "sealant tape" used for the cabin air intake and the wiring loom grommet plug.
The holes are rectangular & mirror each other.

I've been nice & dry for six years since.

IF you ever have to take off the rear bumper, I think there are a couple of vents that go into the boot that will be uncovered.
Butyl around these, and the boot might be drier. (others may confirm or deny).

Best of luck.

Can confirm.

I've done more or less all of the sealing jobs and they've worked well. The last one was the scuttle panel under the wipers.

For the past couple of years I've kept one if those plastic dehumidifier things in the car on the dash and after it filed up the last time, I've had a new one in the car for a week and I came back to the car today after leaving it all that time and there's nothing in it.

I'm guessing the trap took in the remaining moisture that was sitting in the driver's footwell and now it's just whatever moisture is in the car naturally.

There's always going to be some moisture just from rain and simply having human beings in the car, but I feel like I've finally solved that problem.

Interesting to hear about the boot vents - I've had a big bottle of washer fluid in the boot and it's been attracting condensation, so I'll take a look. I need to respray my bumper anyway, so when it's hot for more than two hours, I'll sort that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rich.T

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Ive had bottles of screen wash in the boot that attracted moisture. Wierd int it.
Put mine in the shed now

smutts

Apr 12, 2020
Also you only need a 5-6mm bead of butyl mastic.
I found that someone before me had used about two tubes of butyl mastic on one door.
I ended up with a grapefruit sized "stress ball" once I got it off.
That lot would have done about eight doors & a couple of scuttles.
Someone must have been really fed up with that leak.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.