New member needing advice

Thomas Hosker

Jul 17, 2014
Hi, im Tom from East Sussex in England.

Im looking for some help/advice on my overheating Leon. Heres some info....

2001 Seat Leon 1.9 TDI 110 SE

So basically i havent had hot air coming out the heater for a few months, figured there was something wrong but as the car was running fine i just ignored it. The other day i drove the car over to Brighton from Eastbourne, it was a hot day and the car got there fine (going along the a27) on the way back however i decided to use the coast road to drive back. All way fine until i had to tackle some slight hills, the car over heated so i pulled in and waited for it too cool down. Thinking now that the headgasket is gone i sent it into my local mechanic the next day.

He did a pressure test on the expansion bottle and said that way fine, the pressure didnt drop so the head gasket cant be to blaim? Come to think of it i did get a friend to do a sniff test a few months back and he said thay the fluid turned colour indicating exhaust gases in the coolant.

So yer the car went into the garage, he did the pressure test and ruled out the headgasket. He then changed the thermostat, i tested the old one and it didnt open in boiling water (it was rated for 88 degrees)

I took the car out for a test drive, still no hot air, temp was on 90 as usual until i got to a dual carrigway and did 60, the car began to over heat so i pulled over.

Im noticing that the engine fans are on, the top radiator hose is very hot but the radiator is cold and so is the bottom rad hose. They are both pressurised and hard to touch but it seems like the coolant isnt getting round the rad.

I have paperwork saying the cambelt and waterpump was done about 2 years ago and the turbo was replaced due to some sort of oil problem.

To me (and my limited knowledge) it seems like the headgasket has gone and is pressuring the coolant system and that air/gas is going to the top of the system - heater matrix and preventing me getting hot air, but that doent explain the rad not getting hot?

The thermostat was replaced with a brand new genuine part, i havent tested it but id imagine thats ok?

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Also if anyone can put me in contact with a decent mechanic that knows this engine and doesnt cost a bomb that would be great

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
I know you say it was replaced but I wouldn't rule out the water pump being broken, sounds to me like it's not being circulated around the system correctly.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.