New to Forum, just saying Hi!

BigFatFish

Jan 26, 2020
Hi, I'm Mike. New member from Swindon. Have a new 69 Leon FR Black 130 on the way. Ended up buying distance, which I dont like to do, but Fish Brothers in Swindon quoted the same price on a 1.0 SE dynamic as Lookers quoted on the FR Black 130. For the sake of a £30 train to stockport it's a no brainer....

Ex vehicle mechanic, worked (amongst other places) VW in Cirencester, 2000, and Seat Swindon Automobiles 2000-2003.

Now teach army recruits Engineering subjects (Maths, Physics, Materials, and Tech Drawing).

Looking forward to the car, as had Jeep Renegade last 3.5 years. Was Jeep Master Tech in last motor trade job, so have VT'd the PCP on that for a variety of reasons.

Looking for pro's and cons of carista, obdeleven, vcds atm. So, what's the consensus? Or does that question just open the biggest can of worms on this forum?

Anyways, Hi!

Reactions: Syphon

Turbo2020

Jan 18, 2020
Bradford
Welcome, I also have a Leon FR black 130 which should be coming around April time hopefully. Have you opted for the hatchback or estate?

BigFatFish

Jan 26, 2020
Hatch. Happened to want a black one and lookers had one on stock order coming in so it's in Grimsby right now on the wheels that look more like a spilt 5 spoke. I only ordered on the 21st this month. On top of that, my name is Mike F. My reg ends in MKF. I think that makes it one of the luckiest purchases known to man....

Reactions: Turbo2020

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
Well done on the deal, Lookers Salford (last year) told me my trade in price against retail £ for the FR 130...acting like a numpty I said "so I need to find the difference?" "Yep, that's about it" said the salesman! And with that I bought from IMG Warrington.

BigFatFish

Jan 26, 2020
Thing is I hate buying distance or internet because I want MY dealer to make me feel special and at least try to get my business. Maybe its because I'm ex trade but I'd like to think my old front of house staff did their bit to make customers feel valued, cos I was busting my balls doing my bit. But in the last year I've been to VW 3 times (inchcape Swindon and Marshall Newbury), Skoda (Marshall Newbury), and not spoken to a single salesman. Call Lookers last tuesday, and Christie at Stockport has been helpful, we've knocked a few figures back and forth, and when I mentioned my 6 year old likes the Seat Ibiza Juice Cup, she has thrown that on top as a freebie after the deal was agreed....I dont know if I'm dodging a bullet by not using their after sales but it's a shame there wont be any opportunities to at least try. So this thing about the internet destroying the high street is actually poor service feeding the internet imho. Anyway car should be with me within 2 weeks....

Reactions: Yern and Turbo2020

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Welcome. In answer to your last question obd11 and carista are basically front ends for vcds long coding helper. Eg anything you can do in carista or odb11 you can do in vcds. Both are cheaper.

Vcds has better diagnostics, calibration and live data logging. But is a lot more expensive.

Which you buy depends on if you want to diagnose complex faults or just enable needle sweep and play around with lighting modes.

One thing to keep in mind and I'm not 100% sure on this. But I believe vcds has a vin activation limit. So you couldnt use it to diagnose unlimited cars.

BigFatFish

Jan 26, 2020
Picked the car up just over 2 weeks ago....
Cracking little deal from Lookers Stockport, really happy with it. They happened to have just what I wanted on a stock order so I first approached them on 21st jan, picked up car 7th Feb....The Mrs got car envy and 2 days later....taa dah a A3 2.0 FSI is on the drive. Bought cheap, needs a spot of work.....slipping clutch, water and oil leaks.....fingers crossed happy wife happy life....

Attachments

• IMG_20200224_001310_248.jpg
    IMG_20200224_001310_248.jpg
    588.4 KB · Views: 67
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.