New to the car world, want to modify but no clue where to start...

Jul 18, 2020
Hi everyone,

I've had my ibiza for over a year now, bog standard ibiza (15) toca 1.4. I really want to make it look sporty and sound a bit better, eventually remap but it seems to be difficult to find anything online about my model of ibiza.

Is there anything decent I can do? Or would I be better off getting something a bit more standard. I really want a car that I make upgrade and make nice and sport, better performance and all that.

As I say I'm not a car guy at all, never done any repairs or anything to a car, all I've ever had experience with is changing my front bulbs and taking the car for its service lol

Charliessmith

Jun 16, 2017
Hi welcome,

The first thing I would consider is what you want from the modifications a sort of end goal, (I'm still trying to find my end goal with my stage 2 highly modified Cupra 290) lol .

If you want a bit of noise you could always do a muffler or resonator delete, but if you want more noise and some power then a high performance cat-back system is the way to go. Cat-back basically means from the catalytic converter backwards, so to the tips of the exhaust.

Power wise a remap is the way to go, you can get a off the shelf map which is a map suited to many types of ibiza's or you could get a custom map, which is when they put your car on a dyno and map it on the dyno, live.

There are loads of people on here who will be able to help you, I have learnt so much from this forum and specific people from here.

Does your car have a turbo?

Sent from my SM-N770F using Tapatalk

Reactions: NotACarGuyTho
Jul 18, 2020
Hi welcome,

The first thing I would consider is what you want from the modifications a sort of end goal, (I'm still trying to find my end goal with my stage 2 highly modified Cupra 290) lol .

If you want a bit of noise you could always do a muffler or resonator delete, but if you want more noise and some power then a high performance cat-back system is the way to go. Cat-back basically means from the catalytic converter backwards, so to the tips of the exhaust.

Power wise a remap is the way to go, you can get a off the shelf map which is a map suited to many types of ibiza's or you could get a custom map, which is when they put your car on a dyno and map it on the dyno, live.

There are loads of people on here who will be able to help you, I have learnt so much from this forum and specific people from here.

Does your car have a turbo?

Nope no turbo Its a standard Ibiza 1.4 Toca Petrol 84bhp.

I've read online about getting a different exhaust set up for a bit of noise but people usually say 1.4 cars don't sound good and having exhaust mods done to them isn't greay?, Its my daily driver so I'd like a bit of noise but I'm not looking for a huge hum or anything whilst driving about, more for when I run the revs higher and stuff. I'm also a bit wary of this because I wouldn't know what would pass an MOT and what wouldn't.

In terms for the remap, (not a car guy) I understand that if you get a remap you'll also have to get new parts so that your car is able to deal with the enhanced power output?

Charliessmith

Jun 16, 2017
Nope no turbo Its a standard Ibiza 1.4 Toca Petrol 84bhp.

I've read online about getting a different exhaust set up for a bit of noise but people usually say 1.4 cars don't sound good and having exhaust mods done to them isn't greay?, Its my daily driver so I'd like a bit of noise but I'm not looking for a huge hum or anything whilst driving about, more for when I run the revs higher and stuff. I'm also a bit wary of this because I wouldn't know what would pass an MOT and what wouldn't.

In terms for the remap, (not a car guy) I understand that if you get a remap you'll also have to get new parts so that your car is able to deal with the enhanced power output?
I've heard (but not sure how true) that it's not worth remapping a car that doesn't have a turbo the gains aren't worth it, but not 100% sure, I remapped a car without a turbo before and it didn't do much at all.

In terms of passing an MOT I don't think a muffler or resonator delete will make it fail.

You should think what you want from these mods and then do the research into the mods you decide to do.

Jul 18, 2020
I've heard (but not sure how true) that it's not worth remapping a car that doesn't have a turbo the gains aren't worth it, but not 100% sure, I remapped a car without a turbo before and it didn't do much at all.

In terms of passing an MOT I don't think a muffler or resonator delete will make it fail.

You should think what you want from these mods and then do the research into the mods you decide to do.

Thanks for your help. Very much appreciated

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I think that you should look on this car as a "starter" car, use it as it is and build up driving experience and insurance no claims, before moving on to better or more powerful things.

That sounds like a very boring answer, but this engine is a reliable and maybe a bit rough sounding one, and that is okay for a starter car, it is a heck of a lot better than my wife's last 2002 VW Polo 1.4 16V 75PS, that car had less max power, worse torque curve shape and was a lot heavier than your car, my daughter used to have a late 2009 until August last year when she moved on to a new, or pre-reg'd May 2019 Leon Cupra, which I have not driven yet! That Ibiza 1.4 16V 84PS SE S/C was a lot quicker than my wife's 2002 VW Polo, though the Polo was loaded with every possible factory fitted option, but it was slow! Her 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI 16V 110PS is a lot better to drive.

Jul 18, 2020
I think that you should look on this car as a "starter" car, use it as it is and build up driving experience and insurance no claims, before moving on to better or more powerful things.

That sounds like a very boring answer, but this engine is a reliable and maybe a bit rough sounding one, and that is okay for a starter car, it is a heck of a lot better than my wife's last 2002 VW Polo 1.4 16V 75PS, that car had less max power, worse torque curve shape and was a lot heavier than your car, my daughter used to have a late 2009 until August last year when she moved on to a new, or pre-reg'd May 2019 Leon Cupra, which I have not driven yet! That Ibiza 1.4 16V 84PS SE S/C was a lot quicker than my wife's 2002 VW Polo, though the Polo was loaded with every possible factory fitted option, but it was slow! Her 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI 16V 110PS is a lot better to drive.

Yeah i mean honestly to me the car looks nice, doesn't sound too bad and yep its my first car! I went with it because it looked nice, didn't feel bad to drive and was a reasonable price/mileage from a dealership!

I guess I'll stick with it for another year or two, save up and get something with a bit more nip to it!

Reactions: RUM4MO

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I had some seriously good ideas when I bought my first car which was a van, in reality it was rotten with rust and only handy as we had just got married, I'm glad that I dropped all my "brilliant ideas for upgrading it! and just moved up age wise and power wise slowly when money for a car was available, nothing wrong with doing that, mortgages etc do hold things back a bit at first.
No harm in dreaming though, life would be boring otherwise, just enjoy it for what it is.

BocaBill

Mar 31, 2020
I had some seriously good ideas when I bought my first car which was a van, in reality it was rotten with rust and only handy as we had just got married, I'm glad that I dropped all my "brilliant ideas for upgrading it! and just moved up age wise and power wise slowly when money for a car was available, nothing wrong with doing that, mortgages etc do hold things back a bit at first.
No harm in dreaming though, life would be boring otherwise, just enjoy it for what it is.
I remember back in my late teens just as I passed my test I wanted to stick a Cossie kit on my 1.1 fiesta, cossie 5 spoke alloys, peco exhaust etc buying Fast Ford and Max Power mags for idea's and the latest kits.....much like the O.P I didn't have any spanner time under my belt either..
I waited a few year's before stepping up in power via different car's over the year's.

Definately best advice is as given to get some experience on the roads 1st and get to know your car, I guess it's how most of us have learnt.

Jul 18, 2020
Hi.
If you ever have any issues with insurance at all for modifications then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

In terms of modifications and insurance. I understand if I remap then ill 100% have to declare it and I'll probably get charged more but are there some things you dont have to mention?

I mean doing things like mudflaps, bodykits and any cosmetic modifications that have no affect on actual performance dont have to be declared

Jul 18, 2020
I remember back in my late teens just as I passed my test I wanted to stick a Cossie kit on my 1.1 fiesta, cossie 5 spoke alloys, peco exhaust etc buying Fast Ford and Max Power mags for idea's and the latest kits.....much like the O.P I didn't have any spanner time under my belt either..
I waited a few year's before stepping up in power via different car's over the year's.

Definately best advice is as given to get some experience on the roads 1st and get to know your car, I guess it's how most of us have learnt.
I think maybe my car just isn't really a stepping stone for modifications and remaps.

I imagine getting something like an RS, ST or something would be much better suited and generally easier to get advice on

Charliessmith

Jun 16, 2017
I think maybe my car just isn't really a stepping stone for modifications and remaps.

I imagine getting something like an RS, ST or something would be much better suited and generally easier to get advice on
I agree, just use this car to gain experience and get your insurance down because if you want a fast car it will cost a lot to insure.

My first car was a citron saxo vtr 1.6 then I had another one lol, then a polo 1.4 standard no bells or whistles lol, and that was over 8 years. Now I have my Cupra which I have had for 3 years and most people including myself would say that getting a Cupra at 25 is very young. A lot of the guys from here are older gentlemen. I'm now 28 and my insurance is not to bad but I need to get a new insurance quote with all my mods included.

BocaBill

Mar 31, 2020
In terms of modifications and insurance. I understand if I remap then ill 100% have to declare it and I'll probably get charged more but are there some things you dont have to mention?

I mean doing things like mudflaps, bodykits and any cosmetic modifications that have no affect on actual performance dont have to be declared

You could get a rear spoiler, front splitter, side skirts, wind deflectors for a body kit option, Tint the windows, Maybe drop it slightly on lowering springs.....those alone will give it a sportier look.
All modifications HAVE to be declared, some companies don't charge extra for cosmetic changes however any upgrade in engine performance will increase your insurance.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members