newbie testing a leon tomorrow

shaunw

Apr 13, 2007
HANTS
Hi,

I have been browsing the forum for a couple of weeks now as I am test driving a leon tomorrow.

I feel like I am already an expert on the car after reading all the info available here!

If I do buy, I will certainly be adding some subtle mods. At the moment I am looking at the stylance 1.9tdi in red with 17" wheel option, sunroof, and convienience pack.

Judging from pics I've seen on the forum I would add the centre arm rest, oval exhaust trim and the interior trim kit.

Looks like replacement speakers may be on the cards too.

Depending on performance I may look at getting it re-mapped.

One thing that struck me when I was adding all thse bits to the basic price was that it still comes out incredible value.

Already driven and decided against buying;

Astra 1.9cdti sri: (uncomfortable seats and pricey + hideous residuals) nice interior though and looks great with the exterior styling kit, awsome standard stereo too.

Golf 1.9tdi Match: booooooring! and didnt look any better built than the Leon despite being considerably more expensive.

Alfa 159 1.9tdi turismo: beautiful to look at and very comfortable but strangely uninvolving to drive (need the v6 I suppose) I was also unsure about the residuals, especially as its expensive to buy.

Ford focus titanium 1.8tdci. Felt a bit 'reppy' certainly not special and I know I'd be bored with it quickly. Overall I felt it was a very good car though. If I was in the market for a petrol and had a bit more cash I would seriously consider the st.

So heres hoping the Leon impresses.

Id only considered the Stylance until recently as I was concerned about reports of a very hard ride on the other models. I keep on looking at pics of the tdi fr though and thinking Mmmmmmmmmmm. Now I've read the posts about the koni dampers I am sorely tempted!

I do have a couple of queries if anyone can help:

My wife and I like to holiday in this country so the car will be used for very long journeys now and again. Whats the refinement like on the motorway? I'm not expecting extraordinary levels of refinement (in my current MG ZT there is a surprising amount of wind noise and it spoils the car somwhat) but in Stylance trim is it reasonably quiet over long trips? Likewise (with konis) whats the fr like on long trips?

Does the head unit have volume that automatically increases with road speed?

For the fathers( and mothers) of young kids, will I get a pram in the boot?

Thanks and congratulations on a great forum.

Shaun:)

Xe

Head unit does increase in volume with speed - there are 3 settings.
Yes I can get a Quinny Buzz (pram) in the boot easily.
I find the car fine for motorway trips, I travel on motorway everyday, but this is only 38 miles or so, one way.

Rob GTI

Oct 28, 2004
South Wales
Hi,

If I do buy, I will certainly be adding some subtle mods. At the moment I am looking at the stylance 1.9tdi in red with 17" wheel option, sunroof, and convienience pack.

Shaun:)

Good choice with the sunroof I finds it helps lift the inside mood from a dark and dingy place just a little.

leedebs

Dec 12, 2006
Stylance 2.0tdi.
Not sure if the 1.9tdi would be better but I drive about 100miles a day every weekday on motorways and apart from road noise (quite poor on the Leon IMO) I find the car a reasonably quiet cruiser. I guess road noise may be dependent on tyres fitted or is it the suspension???

leedebs

Dec 12, 2006
Yes definitely go for Bluetooth, one of many mistakes I made prior to purchase!
Wish I had found these forums before then

shaunw

Apr 13, 2007
HANTS
Thanks for the replys guys.

Well its a nce day for a teast drive!

I'll let you know how Iget on.

Shaun

markfranklin

Mar 24, 2007
Shaun, you might like to look at the "Disappointed - Leon FR" thread where I posted some similar thoughts having test-driven a Focus.

All the normal buggy things fit in the boot OK and the rear of the car is bigger than a Golf Mk4 therefore nice and easy for the child seats etc.

markfranklin

Mar 24, 2007
Great news Shaun, I am sure you will love it. Fear not, I reckon all your child paraphenalia will go in easily.

I believe the hard ride of the FR will be great for my daughter as babies famously fall asleep on car journeys. My theory is that the extra bumpy ride will make this magical feat happen even more quickly than it does at present!

FerrariStu

Scuderia Leona
Feb 15, 2007
I used to have a Peugeot 406 GLX (as I do a lot of Motorway driving) which was exceedingly comfy but boring as hell to drive.

I now have a 1.9tdi Stylance and I have NO complaints about the ride at all. In fact, I think the seats are great as they are firm but very supportive and I reckon better for your back if you drive alot.

The Leon is a great compromise between comfort and responsive handling. I don't believe you can have one without it affecting the other :confused:

I used to have an old man's car, and now I have a sex kitten that I can't stop polishing :D

Good luck with the newbie

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members