Newbie to-do's

300stdsg

Dec 20, 2022
Morning everyone. So in the next week, hopefully picking up a 68 plate leon cupra 300 ST. Wanting to know any must haves, must do's etc. Whether it be small little things like any LED bulbs to retrofit, to anything to do woth obdeleven/carista or similar apps. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

cupra14

Aug 31, 2017
England
Take a note of as many settings as you can.

Check OBD has all monitors set, no codes, and that fuel trims are OK.

Check wheel nuts are torqued correctly (expect not).

Hopefully someone has carefully checked tyres. Including spare - and if it hasn't got one then BUY ONE and carry it always. Practice fitting it if you aren't used to doing that.

Add your emergency kit to the boot (hi vis jacket, warning triangle, torque wrench, etc).

Reactions: 300stdsg

300stdsg

Dec 20, 2022
Take a note of as many settings as you can.

Check OBD has all monitors set, no codes, and that fuel trims are OK.

Check wheel nuts are torqued correctly (expect not).

Hopefully someone has carefully checked tyres. Including spare - and if it hasn't got one then BUY ONE and carry it always. Practice fitting it if you aren't used to doing that.

Add your emergency kit to the boot (hi vis jacket, warning triangle, torque wrench, etc).
The fact its a Seat dealer, and they've already told me it needs a full workshop oversee before handing over, and they'll he fitting 2 new tyres at least, I'd hope they do torque them properly 🤣.

DigitalSushi

Sep 7, 2020
Check they have given you the locking nut.

My stealer didnt and i found out on the roadside with a big bolt stuck in my tyre

It cost me £100 to have the wheel removed by a lunatic with a welder and big hammer..

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
The fact its a Seat dealer, and they've already told me it needs a full workshop oversee before handing over, and they'll he fitting 2 new tyres at least, I'd hope they do torque them properly 🤣.
The fact that it is a SEAT dealer would worry me more than buying from an independent.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I’d wager there’s a good chance the dealer won’t fit decent tyres (e.g. Michelin, Goodyear or Continental) tyres befitting of a performance car. The dealer will want to maximise their profit margin so don’t be surprised if you find they’ve fitted some obscure Chinese (or similar) ‘ditchfinder’ brand, in which case IMHO changing them for something better would be worthwhile / recommended.

rdraheim

Jul 18, 2023
It's a 5-year-old car

I would (myself) change:

the air filter
the cabin filter
the spark plugs
an oil change
the V-belt

and I would top off the fluids (coolant, washer, brake) and throw some anticorrosion on the battery terminals.

I take a look at the tyres and decide if I wanted to save them as they're good condition and nice or use them up and get some new ones. I would especially look at their age (XXYY) XX being week and YY being year of manufacture and decide if I was comfortable driving on tyres that old. I have seen tyres older than the car being sold on newer cars. I would see if a space tyre was included ... the car I just bought didn't haven't one, but I foam-filler kit instead, which made me sad.

after that I would go on a short trip over to Italy for a week or so with the fam to have a new car memory as it entered our family.

300stdsg

Dec 20, 2022
It's a 5-year-old car

I would (myself) change:

the air filter
the cabin filter
the spark plugs
an oil change
the V-belt

and I would top off the fluids (coolant, washer, brake) and throw some anticorrosion on the battery terminals.

I take a look at the tyres and decide if I wanted to save them as they're good condition and nice or use them up and get some new ones. I would especially look at their age (XXYY) XX being week and YY being year of manufacture and decide if I was comfortable driving on tyres that old. I have seen tyres older than the car being sold on newer cars. I would see if a space tyre was included ... the car I just bought didn't haven't one, but I foam-filler kit instead, which made me sad.

after that I would go on a short trip over to Italy for a week or so with the fam to have a new car memory as it entered our family.
Well I'm hoping that they'll be doing most of if not all the filter changes as it is. I even brought up the Haldex service as well. From what I've been told they'll be servicing, replacing tyres, and refurbing the wheels as it is. That was before it was going in for its workshop inspection. Hoping to hear more back today about what's being done.

And regards to trips for memory's....already got camping due later this year (a lot easier in the Leon ST than out current polo/ibiza combination), we do F1 camping most years, let alone would love to drive to Europe as well

Reactions: mty12345

rdraheim

Jul 18, 2023
Well I'm hoping that they'll be doing most of if not all the filter changes as it is. I even brought up the Haldex service as well. From what I've been told they'll be servicing, replacing tyres, and refurbing the wheels as it is. That was before it was going in for its workshop inspection. Hoping to hear more back today about what's being done.

And regards to trips for memory's....already got camping due later this year (a lot easier in the Leon ST than out current polo/ibiza combination), we do F1 camping most years, let alone would love to drive to Europe as well
sounds great and like you're getting a new ride

we head over to Europe quite often maybe 6-8 trips a year and the driving is fantastic.

our Golf 6 has been great for long trips over to Italy or even Hungary with the family.

sometimes we pack in 3 adults with one squished in the rear between two child seats.

getting up there in miles now ... 151k ... and some longer-term stuff is wearing out (entire front suspension worn through, third set of front discs/pads, fourth water pump, etc...)

rdraheim

Jul 18, 2023

also, do you mean camping at F1 events like Silverstone?

300stdsg

Dec 20, 2022
also, do you mean camping at F1 events like Silverstone?
Yes mate. We love our F1, went to Montreal this year as the wife has family over there. But when we do Silverstone, we camp from Thursday to Monday. Getting really expensive now though.

jdubya

May 30, 2017
South West
I’d wager there’s a good chance the dealer won’t fit decent tyres (e.g. Michelin, Goodyear or Continental) tyres befitting of a performance car. The dealer will want to maximise their profit margin so don’t be surprised if you find they’ve fitted some obscure Chinese (or similar) ‘ditchfinder’ brand, in which case IMHO changing them for something better would be worthwhile / recommended.
Great point made here about the dealer just fitting ‘new’ tyres - ask them specifically what they will fit (was the car on its OEM) tyres when you signed up for it? If the dealer is unsure really press the point and ask that if you contributed would they fit ‘proper’ tyres I.e. Michelin or Goodyear?? If you can strike a deal it’ll cost you less once you get the car and find that comedy tyres & 300bhp aren’t a good mix!

rdraheim

Jul 18, 2023
Yes mate. We love our F1, went to Montreal this year as the wife has family over there. But when we do Silverstone, we camp from Thursday to Monday. Getting really expensive now though.
Agree. We should have gone to Hungary with family in Budapest and at Balaton.

No guarantees there. I bought a Scirocco in 2015, from a franchised dealer. The wheels were swapped, because they hadn't had them refurbed. 4 days later, I lost a bolt from one wheel, and the others were finger-tight.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.