Next Leon?

Al

Aug 29, 2005
I keep looking at Golf R20T's and can't help wondering if they are really worth it?!

My 60 plate Cupra with 18k miles would realistically be worth £12-£13k traded in. To change to a DSG Golf R I would need to throw in an additional £20k!!

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Well why spend the money on a "Cupra" version of a deisel.
With about £750-£1000 you can have the same power as a Petrol Cupra with more Torque!!

And i would say the "cupra" version will be more than £1000 extra!!

Has a diesel Mk2 Leon with standard turbo actually made the same power as a standard Cupra yet though (ie 260bhp which is the typical figure they make?). And how long does the torque last?

In gear it will be quicker but ultimately the Cupra will still be faster - and of course you can also spend a few hundred on the Cupra to make sure that is the case :). Nothing against the diesel mind - I went out in BIGGs diesel with the smokey map and it had good perfmance and good mpg.

Redemption

Jun 18, 2011
Hampshire
I keep looking at Golf R20T's and can't help wondering if they are really worth it?!

My 60 plate Cupra with 18k miles would realistically be worth £12-£13k traded in. To change to a DSG Golf R I would need to throw in an additional £20k!!

I dunno. Depends what year/mileage you're after. There was one on Pistonheads last week for £24500. 3Dr 10 Plate, 12k miles, DSG, Recaros. Was sold very quickly though.

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
Offering a high performance diesel does not make the Cupra a trim level in my opinion.
Yes if there is a 1.6 TDI Cupra then that will be a problem, but I can't see it happening.
If it does happen I'll eat my words!

The MK2 should have had a diesel option in my opinion. It's weird as the Cupra in recent years has become too close to the Cupra R. By getting more people into the Cupra by adding a diesel option at least it'll set the line apart from the LCR.

If you think about the FR, it has become a trim level now. You can get a 105PS Ibiza in FR guise! All this means is that the equivalent 170hp Diesel will be Cupra only, next gen, probably.

So...

FL FR becomes FR
pre FL FR & FR+ becomes Cupra

?

Al

Aug 29, 2005
I dunno. Depends what year/mileage you're after. There was one on Pistonheads last week for £24500. 3Dr 10 Plate, 12k miles, DSG, Recaros. Was sold very quickly though.

There have been a few for sale for sure. What I mean however is a 10 plate car with the same engine, turbo and chassis worth twice what my 60 plate car is - 4x4 and DSG are the main differences. Also, isn't the mk7 Golf due at about the same as the Mk3 Leon?

Redemption

Jun 18, 2011
Hampshire
There have been a few for sale for sure. What I mean however is a 10 plate car with the same engine, turbo and chassis worth twice what my 60 plate car is - 4x4 and DSG are the main differences. Also, isn't the mk7 Golf due at about the same as the Mk3 Leon?

I guess that's where the VW brand has the edge over Seat with it's residual prices (although they're pricier to start with). Trouble is, to get 4x4 & DSG you need to move to VW or Audi. S3's are cheaper but every man and his dog seems to have one around my way.

Think the Golf Mk7 is due around the same time as the new Leon but not sure when they're planning to release the sort of speedy Golf most of us are interested in. :)

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members