No Radio Reception

Ricky88

Mar 17, 2022
Hi guys,
I have a strange issue with my car where I am not able to receive any radio reception through either FM or DAB. I get the sound of static on FM but it never tunes in and DAB can't find any stations.

I have tried resetting the radio through the infotainment system and trying the hold down power button reboot thing to no avail.

I have done a scan and there are 3 errors for the antenna amplifiers being open circuit.

Has anyone experienced something similar? I am thinking that there must be a module or wiring harness that is common between both digital and FM to cause both to not work?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Many thanks!

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
Hi guys,
I have a strange issue with my car where I am not able to receive any radio reception through either FM or DAB. I get the sound of static on FM but it never tunes in and DAB can't find any stations.

I have tried resetting the radio through the infotainment system and trying the hold down power button reboot thing to no avail.

I have done a scan and there are 3 errors for the antenna amplifiers being open circuit.

Has anyone experienced something similar? I am thinking that there must be a module or wiring harness that is common between both digital and FM to cause both to not work?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Many thanks!
I had a similar thing some years ago when the antenna plug came away form the back of the radio, but not sure if there is separate Dab and Fm sockets, but the antenna is defiantly for both , so I suspect the problem somewhere near the back window, as that is where the antenna is, so you need to trace the wiring near there

Ricky88

Mar 17, 2022
I had a similar thing some years ago when the antenna plug came away form the back of the radio, but not sure if there is separate Dab and Fm sockets, but the antenna is defiantly for both , so I suspect the problem somewhere near the back window, as that is where the antenna is, so you need to trace the wiring near there
Thanks for your reply mate.

Yes it does behave like there is no antenna plugged in at all. I think you might be right about tracing the wiring from the back forward.
Hopefully it's just something disconnected somewhere!

Thank you again for help.

Ricky88

Mar 17, 2022
Hi mate,
Yes I sorted it, in my case the antenna plugs were disconnected from the back of the CD/SD card unit in the glove box. How or why this happened I have no idea.

Hopefully your issue is simple to fix!

Jul 2, 2022
Excellent. This points me in the same direction as yours because mine has the exact same issues. How did you remove the cd unit?

Ricky88

Mar 17, 2022
You just need 2 VW stereo removal keys.
These are the ones I ordered.

There are two slots one each side of the unit, you just push the keys in and pull the unit out it is quite straight forward.

Jul 2, 2022
I’ve literally just cut some strips of an old credit card and took the unit out and found the antenna plug off the back of the unit. Plugged it back in and result all stations work now.
absolutely chuffed.
thank you for your reply’s. You’ve saved me a trip to the dealer.

Reactions: Lozzy15 and Ricky88

Ricky88

Mar 17, 2022
That's awesome I am happy to hear you have got it going and that is an ingenious use of an improvised tool!

And you are welcome. 👍

Jul 2, 2022
I’m a gas engineer by trade so sometimes have to think outside the box- wasn’t entirely sure it would work but did so very pleased.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.