Noisy ‘Tappets’ at Startup

4-candles

May 27, 2006
Kent
I have the 1.6 Petrol engine in the SC. Each time when starting from cold I get maybe a second of 'Tappet' clank whilst the hydraulic lifters pressurise. I know it says in the manual that this is normal, but do all the 1.6 engines do this ?

I grew up on OHV and early OHC engines, and any rattles from the top end were never good news. I had the same issue in a Mk2 Astra, but by using Fully Synthetic oil (Moble 1) it stopped.

Do I need to worry that the clank is doing any long term damage, or is it normal on modern engines ?
Is it worth the few extra quid to run on fully synthetic oil ?

John33

Oct 12, 2009
Earth
Ours ( now RIP ) did sound very much like a diesel for the first few seconds at start up.

jamjar

Jul 6, 2009
I have the 1.6 Petrol engine in the SC. Each time when starting from cold I get maybe a second of 'Tappet' clank whilst the hydraulic lifters pressurise. I know it says in the manual that this is normal, but do all the 1.6 engines do this ?

I grew up on OHV and early OHC engines, and any rattles from the top end were never good news. I had the same issue in a Mk2 Astra, but by using Fully Synthetic oil (Moble 1) it stopped.

Do I need to worry that the clank is doing any long term damage, or is it normal on modern engines ?
Is it worth the few extra quid to run on fully synthetic oil ?

Hi,

Mine does as well.

If you do try the fully synt. oil, let us know if you notice any difference.

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Its not normally the tappets, the 1.6 FSi has a chain driven camshaft and the tensioner is oil fed, makes a noise when its starts up. Like it says perfectly normal.

4-candles

May 27, 2006
Kent
Its not normally the tappets, the 1.6 FSi has a chain driven camshaft and the tensioner is oil fed, makes a noise when its starts up. Like it says perfectly normal.

Thanks for the feedback. I know its not actually the Tappets, but that was the easiest way to describe it.

pete evans

Apr 5, 2009
nottingham
I have the 1.4 sport makes same noise goes quiet after a short while runs fine, its 7mths old done 14000 miles and seems to be running perfectly.End of day I purchased It as a work tool and it is doing the job.

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
i thought that the engine in the 1.6 is not the Fsi... good to know...

I actually PDi'd my first 1.6 on Friday, it oddly enough isnt an FSi engine, however it is the FSi chain driven 1.6, they have just taken off the high pressure pump and fitted a regular intake manifold.

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
I've been hearing this nosy tappets sound on mine at startup... I'm using Visco 5000C 5W40
when using castrol edge titanium fst 5W30 I don't remember this happening.
It's the second time I use Visco and both times I noticed this...

next time I will try castrol 5W40.

mine is the 1.4 petrol

By the way I don't think this 1.6 has a time chain! It's very similar to the 1.4

Last edited: