Oil Leak with pictures

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
Hi All,

Quite new here after a 15 year break, so excuse me if this has been posted before. I have an old leak on my 2005LCR and I have heard people talk about the cam cover and half moon seal. I have some pictures attached, is this what I am experiencing? Car drives perfect, no milky gunk in oil or the oil filler cap and the coolant is spotless.
Any help and possible cost of getting fixed would help also. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_2305.jpg
    IMG_2305.jpg
    714.6 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_2306.jpg
    IMG_2306.jpg
    796.7 KB · Views: 148

g60stu

Feb 9, 2003
Reading
That second picture just looks like the cam cover gasket needs replacement. That half moon bit is just part of the gasket. They're a bit pricey from the dealer (£40??), but fairly easy DIY to change. Garage shouldn't charge much to change it.
Not so easy to tell where that oil is coming from on top of the gearbox in the first photo. Could it be coming from splits/leaks on the PCV pipes running under the inlet manifold and around to the right of the engine?? Has your PCV pipework ever been replaced under the inlet manifold?

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
That second picture just looks like the cam cover gasket needs replacement. That half moon bit is just part of the gasket. They're a bit pricey from the dealer (£40??), but fairly easy DIY to change. Garage shouldn't charge much to change it.
Not so easy to tell where that oil is coming from on top of the gearbox in the first photo. Could it be coming from splits/leaks on the PCV pipes running under the inlet manifold and around to the right of the engine?? Has your PCV pipework ever been replaced under the inlet manifold?
g60stu, Thanks for the reply. I just bought the car after an inspection that mentioned cam gasket and managed to get a few hundred knocked off. I dont think anything has been checked. Its due a timing belt and service so will mention to them. I am concerned that the head gasket might be the problem but there are no symptoms of this.

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Could be rocker cover gasket and/or half moon gasket.

Rocker cover gasket should mean the back of the engine is oily if you put your hand back there.

If you give it all a good clean with an engine degreaser though you should then be able to see if the half moon is weeping or not.

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
Could be rocker cover gasket and/or half moon gasket.

Rocker cover gasket should mean the back of the engine is oily if you put your hand back there.

If you give it all a good clean with an engine degreaser though you should then be able to see if the half moon is weeping or not.
Thanks for the reply. I can't get my hand behind the rocker cover, I need to get the plastic engine cover off, is that easy?

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Yeah, there are just the two plastic bungs at the front. Careful though, they have a habit of pinging off and flying off never to be seen again

Reactions: Jay20VT

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
OK guys, I have an update. I just had a snoop around and there is oil coming from a pipe, see attached. Mind you it could just be what is dripping down from the rocker cover

Attachments

• IMG_2307.jpg
    IMG_2307.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
That's a coolant pipe so won't be coming from there I'm afraid
Cheers. I think it was a red herring. The oil does seem to be coming from the right side cam cover seal and dropping and collecting at the bottom of that connection.
Gonna wait for it to be checked over at my local garage.
Cheers all

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.