Oil leak

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
My advice would be to stop using this car now as it is possible that a variable timing pulley or its fixings has failed, it uses engine oil pressure to move/vary the cam shaft timing, when these pulleys start to come apart, the engine oil leaks out.

If this is the problem, there is a serious danger that big engine destruction could occur, if not then I'm sorry to alarm you, but I'm sure that you will consider that playing safe is the best plan as continuing to drive that car until the pulley etc comes "off" along with the cam belt - and then asking VW Group to repair it free of charge just will not happen, they should repair it free of charge if my assumption is correct as it is a known problem if your car has the 1.0TSI engine.

Last edited:

José Silva

Nov 24, 2018
Portugal
So I went to the mechanic after removing the top cover that covers the timing belt he found the camshaft variator bolts loose. After tightening the oil loss stopped. I post some photos (not mine) to show what I'm talking about. Attention, one of the mechanics told me that this is not the first VW AE211 engine that this has happened in that workshop, mine is the second.

Attachments

• Sem Título.png
    Sem Título.png
    306.9 KB · Views: 149
  • Sem Título2.png
    Sem Título2.png
    242 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Good news, well at least its good that you took my advice before that engine got wrecked.

VW Group must have a way of officially reworking that area or replacing the variable timing pulley and fitting a new belt, as I think that they know about this.

It is essential that you take this to a VW Group official workshop that has the new correct tooling to correctly retime that engine after replacing that pulley and belt.

Please keep us updated.

Maybe try posting these picture again as they can't be viewed, at least by me.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Loose, almost completely unscrewed, that is not good.

Do you know what the full content of the recovery or repair of this is meant to be, were the screws in your exhaust cam shaft replaced and fitted with a form of screw locking compound, or just screwed back in and torqued up?

Also was the cam belt not wetted by this oil and so needing to be replaced?

José Silva

Nov 24, 2018
Portugal
Initially they thought it would be necessary to change the timing belt but then they saw that the belt was dry the oil hit the bearings and was projected out of there the oil came out through the b.ase of the cover on the belt, it helped that the oil was detected in the initial phase. If the oil loss was not detected and the problem got worse, it could ultimately damage the engine.
The screws were tightened again and I go back there to remove them again, put glue and tighten again.

José Silva

Nov 24, 2018
Portugal
Just a up date to see no oil every thing its dry and work fine. My advice is to take a look at yours it's very easy to remove the cover cover it has 1 screw and 2 side clips

Attachments

• 20230405_143533[1].jpg
    20230405_143533[1].jpg
    530.1 KB · Views: 152
  • 20230405_143544[1].jpg
    20230405_143544[1].jpg
    499.5 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Reactions: RUM4MO
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.