Orange Brake Pad Warning Light

AndyC567

Feb 28, 2006
Hi Guy's.

On the way home from work tonight the brake pad warning light came on and the car beeped at me. It is the light with the circle and the 3 dotted line each side which I guess is supposed to represent a disc (or maybe a drum).

I stopped the car and restarted and it came on as I drove away, even when not touching the brake pedal. I stopped to pick up some shopping and then drove home a mile and the light didn't come on?

I just had a look with a tourch through the wheel and the pads look fine (new last year).

So my question is, are there sensor wire on both the front and back pads, and if only on the front, I bet it is only one side, anyone know ?

I plan to take wheels off and have a closer look at the weekend, and I am guessing there will only be one wheel which actually has sensors?

It would be nice to know which corner to start at !!

Thanks all..

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
If it's a pad sensor they're on both sides usually but check your brake fluid level just in case it's low.

AndyC567

Feb 28, 2006
leon mk1s and toledo mk2s only have a sensor on the near side (front).

is this the light i take it?:

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articles/susp_whls_brake_steer/brakesensor5.JPG

Thats the one..

funny thing is, after it coming on for a bit yesterday on the way home, this morning on the 25 mile trip back to work, it didn't come on at all ?

Surely if a pad was worn, once triggered it would stay on ?

It was rather wet last night, so I wonder if water got into the wiring somehow ?

I still plan to take the wheels of and have a look, sounds like I need to start with the front near side.

Thanks

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I also thought that as soon as a pad sensor 'fires', it stays on until it's replaced? But it's a pretty safe bet that you'll be replacing the pads very soon!

AndyC567

Feb 28, 2006
I also thought that as soon as a pad sensor 'fires', it stays on until it's replaced? But it's a pretty safe bet that you'll be replacing the pads very soon!

Had another look at lunchtime through the wheels and there is plenty of meat left on the pads..
I would say that there is still two thirds of the lining left. Makes sense. because they were only fitted along with new discs about 6 months ago!!

I also had a look at the fluid level, and that is right upto the neck of the reservoir, so that is not low either.

So why did my warning light come on yesterday, and why has it gone off today, what could of been wrong yesterday ?

I don't like driving the car when it is telling there could be a braking system fault, not good !!

Mystery, but maybe having the wheels off at the weekend will reveal all ?

Anyone got any idea'a of what to look for ?

Thanks guy's..

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Maybe damage to the wire or it could just be a fluke where a bit of moisture and dirt shorted out the wire to the disc. I've had my abs light come and go a lot lately because of all the crud off the roads just now and a blast with the power hose cures it everytime.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
It might have been a loose connection on the brake pad wire, registering a momentary disconnection. Check it's not catching on anything, ideally it should be clipped to the strut.

AndyC567

Feb 28, 2006
It might have been a loose connection on the brake pad wire, registering a momentary disconnection. Check it's not catching on anything, ideally it should be clipped to the strut.

I reckon that is about right..

Light came on again on way home so I parked on drive on a full lock so I could have a look.

Had a play with the wiring and the light is now permanently on..

Should make it easier to find out what is going on.

Ta.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Has the pad with the sensor on worn unevenly compared to the rest? happened to me as discs were worn and caused this, other 3 pads were fine

Good point, and if I remember rightly the pad wear sensor is on the inside pad? Which is a nightmare to see without removing the wheel.

AndyC567

Feb 28, 2006
Sorted.....

Took off the whell and confirmed pads well chunky, nearly new.

I disconnected the sensor plug on the strutt and put a mutlimeter across the wires that go to the pad.
Very random readings, reading from open circuit to 100k ohms, and it usually went open circuit if I pulled slightly on the wire.

So, I simply cut the wire from the pad as it was useless, cut it back and joined them together and covered with stretched self amalgamating tape to make a little link with the plug on the end.

Once tthe little link was plugged back into the car, the light and bleeper no longer come on.
Then simply cable tied it in place and made a note to self that Brake pad sensoras no longer work !!

While jack was out, I also looked at drivers side front, and same story, plenty meat on pad and everthing looking hunky.

Top job. I am now happy.

Thanks to all your help on here guy's

p.s. May even look at rears tomorrow for total piece of mind.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise