overheating problem - more info

davidol

New ghetto whip :)
Aug 17, 2004
Cardiff
right guys as some of you are probably aware ive had a overheating problem the last couple of days and i havent had time to use the car and to look at it due to my new job but im fed up of using the girlfriends car now so i need to get this sorted!

the car overheated a couple of days ago, pulled over and first thought was it'd be the fusebox, the far right hand fuse was stuck it but eventually came out, only the slightest of melting on the top of the fusebox but not enough to cause an issue in my opinion, the tips of the fuse were browned so i swapped it with a spare and i think (cant remembe to be honest) i think the waterpump kicked in at this point with the engine off.

didnt use the car for a couple of days and took it out for a spin, didnt overheat in the first 20 mins but then the problem occured again with the car overheating, aircon will switch on and show as working but only hot airi begining blown out, also noticed neither fan is kicking in even if the car is left to sit and idle for 10mins, the fuse is not broken and ive checked all the wires in the fusebox on top of the battery, there is deffinately 12-13volts post fuse side so i dont believe the fusebox is at fault. I also believe the waterpump is working correctly as when the car is running water can be seen trickling out of the top hose of the header tank.

so now im thinking its either the fans which are at fault (which would be unlikely that both were faulty at the same time) or they arent recieveing a trigger to turn on so faulty thermostat/temperature sendor?

i know i can test if the fans work by bridging power onto the motor connections but is there a easier way than this as they are in a awkward position!

as you face the car there is also a three pin connection going into a radiator (might be coolant, might be aircon) next to the right hand fan, 2 of the connections are power and earth, any idea on the third connection?

Thanks! :)

davidol

Aug 17, 2004
Cardiff
bit of a update, just got a tow home from the RAC, fans were kicking in intermitantely during overheating but all the solid fuses are fine, checked voltage before and after, the smaller 3 green plastic fuses are also fine, voltage the same before and after

any suggestions?

May 25, 2004
Newport, South Wales
Intermitantly leads me to think damaged wiring/loose connection post fuse block? Checked the continuity of the cables?
Common supply? Faesable that the both wouldn't work then

Last edited:

davidol

Aug 17, 2004
Cardiff
yeah was thinking that but access is poor :(

might be easier to take the battery out and feed the power via crockidle clips on the oe connections so ive got home to work!

davidol

Aug 17, 2004
Cardiff
cant wait munchkins :whistle:

anyone else feel like calling round mine for a spot of hardcore vagcom dogging action at midnight? :rolleyes: :lol:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise