Paint Quality

aholloway21

Jul 16, 2021
Has anyone noticed issues with paint quality / durability?

Ive just hit 5k miles in mine and the desire red paintwork already has scratches and chips everywhere on it.

My golf GTI did 35k without even so much as a micro scratch.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@aholloway21; Although historically VAG paint has a reputation for being super hard, I’ve read on another forum (think it was a detailing forum) that VAG paint takes a while to fully cure and reach maximum hardness, which suggests paintwork on a new VAG car might be more prone to scratches, swirls and chipping than, say a 12 month old - or older - car. Also, modern water based paints tend to be less durable than the old style cellulose paints, although I think all car manufacturers have been using water based paints for many years now for environmental reasons.

I’d assume that Seat use paint that’s manufactured to the same formulation as VW paint. My VW has travelled a similar mileage to your car (I‘ve clocked up just over 5.5k miles) and my paintwork’s not got any scratches. On the stone chip count, I’ve had four minor stone chips - one on the bonnet and three on the front bumper, all touched in and not noticeable now.

What colour was your GTI? Was it a more forgiving colour than Desire Red in terms of hiding scratches and swirls well?

Do you wash your car yourself using a ‘safe’ wash technique? If not, and you use the old fashioned single bucket, sponge and wash leather method or entrust it to the many hand car wash places or use an automatic car wash, then those methods significantly increase the risk of scratch and swirl damage (so do dealership complementary free service washes!). Also bear in mind that where you park could be a factor in your car picking up scratches - e.g. a crowded supermarket car park where those parked next you you might not be considerate towards your car.

gumpy321

Jun 7, 2021
Behind the rear wheels paint is starting to peel because in my opinion, the paint is too shallow and is exposed to the stuff coming off the rear tyres.

My drivers side has just started to peel.

Another guys on the MK4 Cupra Leon Facebook group is really bad and he's in discussion with Seat UK about it.

There was also another member where it was just starting to peel.

I've attached some pics of the damage to one members car.

Keep and eye on this as I think this is going to be a common issue.

PS, does anyone know of some rear mud flaps that fit. I'm of the understanding the standard Leon ones don't?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1639597349798.jpg
    FB_IMG_1639597349798.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 247
  • FB_IMG_1639597343681.jpg
    FB_IMG_1639597343681.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 259

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Behind the rear wheels paint is starting to peel because in my opinion, the paint is too shallow and is exposed to the stuff coming off the rear tyres.

My drivers side has just started to peel.

Another guys on the MK4 Cupra Leon Facebook group is really bad and he's in discussion with Seat UK about it.

There was also another member where it was just starting to peel.

I've attached some pics of the damage to one members car.

Keep and eye on this as I think this is going to be a common issue.

PS, does anyone know of some rear mud flaps that fit. I'm of the understanding the standard Leon ones don't?
It could be to do with an issue in the painting process for painting plastic components or incorrect prep of the plastic bumper prior to painting rather than the thickness of paint used. I can recall reading on a VW forum a few years ago of a few instances on a previous generation of the Golf (I think it was the mk6) of peeling paint in vulnerable areas on plastic bumpers. From memory, the issue was attributed to the painting process or incorrect prep prior to painting.

Another possible explanation might be substandard repairs following damage sustained whilst vehicles were in transit from the factory to the dealership. Unfortunately, damage to brand new cars in transit does happen, and repairs might not always be to factory standard.

DuckPit

Jul 2, 2021
Yeah mines started peeling at back as well like the guys on FB mine is 2k miles I've bodged it to stop it happing more and goes to dealers in Jan. My front bumper has some stone chipping as well in odd pattern did a few touch up's today, it's candy white so blended easy. I seem to get stone chips that rather than head on hits it hits then seems to go across the bumper so look like little cuts, at first thought it was something else but them on both sides now think it's shape of bumper that does it.

I think paint too thin or incorrectly prep on the pealing bumpers like other poster said, on mine the paint is litterally pealing a way with hardly any key to the plastic, once the paint is broken that's it pealing starts. Would avoid jet washing car in that area and no auto car washes.

Last edited:

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
It’d be interesting to know if mk4 Seat Leon owners are also experiencing the same issues with flaking / peeling and chipping paint on the bumpers, bearing in mind both the Seat Leon and Cupra Leon are built in the same production plant (Martorell, Spain), so they’ll go through the same painting process.

Hopefully Seat Leon owners will read this and comment on the durability of the paint on their cars - in particular the paint on the bumpers.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.