Painting Calipers

JimOverLord

I am thinking of painting my black magic ibizas calipers red on the rear disc brakes and the front drum brakes black. Has anyone got any tips on doing this? I am just thinking of buying hammerite paint (don't know which kind is best), taking the wheels off and using a very fine paint brush.

Thanks,
Jim

Andy_FR

Sep 23, 2008
North East
You need to make sure the surface is very clean, no rust/dust at all then take your time, mask off all the parts that you dont want covered in paint. Easy job really

GazEP3

Missing the vtec yo :(
Nov 27, 2009
Northern Ireland
I am thinking of painting my black magic ibizas calipers red on the rear disc brakes and the front drum brakes black. Has anyone got any tips on doing this? I am just thinking of buying hammerite paint (don't know which kind is best), taking the wheels off and using a very fine paint brush.

Thanks,
Jim

Your rear brakes are discs and front brakes are drums???? :confused: Is your steering wheel in the boot by any chance? :lol:

Hammerite is fine just take your time with it. I find it handy to keep a small jar of petrol close by and occasionally dip the brush in the petrol and then in the paint to get a nice smooth final coat, it thins the paint down a bit so it's not as lumpy and helps hide the brush strokes ;)

G3K

3 points and counting...
Aug 14, 2010
Hatfield, Herts
if you want a really good strong red use Halfords high temperature engine paint, brush on.

It dries smooth and looks great. Did mine a few weeks ago

GazEP3

Missing the vtec yo :(
Nov 27, 2009
Northern Ireland
As long as you prep the surface first and mask off any areas you don't want to paint yeah!
Don't know if you'd have to use a primer for aerosol applications first though. Definitely no primer needed for Hammerite other than a good scrub down with a wire brush first :thumbup: