paintshop/body shop people or anyone who knows about home use compressors????

andy_dea

Aug 9, 2003
north east
Visit site
wondering if anyone can help me out?

looking into buying a compressor for home use

im after using it for both spraying parts of the car, and also be able to use it to power windy tools,

just looking through the machine mart catalogue and plenty in there but could do with some advice

on what power unit will suit the above needs

cheers andy

GazM

Aug 5, 2006
Leicester
It's a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question unfortunately. It all depends on exactly what tools you want to run from it and for how long.

The important figure in compressor stats is cfm. There are 2 cfm figures that get quoted for compressors, one is displacement and the other is free air delivered (FAD). Displacement is like bhp at the flywheel and fad is 'at the wheels' so it's the fad that you should be looking at.

As a few rough examples, you'd want around 6cfm (fad) to run a 1/2" drill, 3cfm for a 1/2" impact wrench, 10cfm for am orbital sander and 10cfm for a professioanal quality spray gun.

A lower powered compressor will still run the tools, but you may have to stop to wait for it to catch up again every now and then. You can also buy tools that air designed to run off a lower pressure or air flow - I remeber seeing a spray gun once that worked off about 3cfm at 30psi.

The psi that it kicks out is also important for some tools but I can't help with what's required as far as that's concerned. I wouldn't have thought that you'd ever need to go above 100psi.

Hope that helps more than it confuses :)

FASTER

Feb 18, 2005
Nottingham
ive got

I use a 150 litre compressor i run power tools on that fine! the DA SANDER is the killer takes alot of juice to run it but worth it! i paint with mine fine to! my advice is go as big as you can afford as if you dont, you will by twice! also run 2 hoses one for paint one for tools as you dont want oil in your paint from your tool line!!!
hope it helps

andy_dea

Aug 9, 2003
north east
Visit site
cheers lads,

yer thought its going to be the case of buy the best you can afford

cheers for the tip on the lines faster will do that

will look into it bit more tonight then

FASTER

Feb 18, 2005
Nottingham
if you get stuck just shout up! I learnt the hard way got asmall compressor had to upgrade and never knew the things i know about painting/tools now and nobody wanted to help bodyshops about as helpfull as... "i put the paint on till it looks right"..... umm!

the best way to learn is to get it wrong! :cartman:
any how you will soon learn when your rubbing down a panel for the first time because of not using 2 hoses or airborn silicon etc....:whistle:

matt110tdi

sorry to bring up an old thread but would a 50 litre 2HP compressor like the sealey SA2250/2 be good enough to run an impact wrench which needs about 4CFM of air?

Model No: SA2250 /2
Motor Output: 2.0hp
Voltage /Phase: 230V - 1ph
Input Current: 8.5A
Air Displacement: 8.3cfm
Maximum Free Air Delivery: 7.0cfm
Tank Capacity: 50ltr
Maximum Pressure: 116psi /8bar

GazM

Aug 5, 2006
Leicester
The important thing is the maximum free air delivered which says 7cfm in the info you posted.

Since your impact wrench needs 4cfm you will be ok as long as you don't want to run anything else at the same time.
Bear in mind though any tools that you might want to run on it in the future.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members