Parking sensors (aftermarket?)

Aug 13, 2020
Since I'm most likely picking up a SC mk3 Leon this week, I'm aware rear visibility isn't the best so will try and get one with sensors, but if I find a deal on a car that ticks all the other boxes, how easy and cost effective is fitting aftermarket ones? Roughly what can I expect it to cost all in parts + installation? Has anyone fitted aftermarket sensors and any drawbacks/brands to avoid?

briancbb

Sep 4, 2015
Kirkcaldy
I have a Boscam rear view camera fitted, with a separate 4.3 screen suckered to the windscreen. So much better than parking sensors bleeping.

Reactions: redtee34

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Has anyone fitted aftermarket sensors and any drawbacks/brands to avoid?

I've fitted rear sensors to a few cars including a Leon and two Ibizas. If you're ok with tools it's an easy enough job. Cost, including the paint, is under £100. This is for the same flush-fit sensors Seat fit and once fitted they look totally factory.

Reactions: Bosher and redtee34
Aug 13, 2020
I have a Boscam rear view camera fitted, with a separate 4.3 screen suckered to the windscreen. So much better than parking sensors bleeping.
Why, if I may ask, didn't you just use the existing infotainment screen for the camera?

Has anyone gone the aftermarket camera route and connected it to the mk3 infotainment screen? I've read they needn't actually cost more than sensors if the car already has a display, but this might depend on the model

williamxb

Mar 11, 2019
Oxfordshire
Why, if I may ask, didn't you just use the existing infotainment screen for the camera?

Totally agree with this, especially when the retrofit route isn’t that much more expensive, and contributes to the value of the car. Not to mention it doesn’t look ridiculous!

There are plenty of threads re: reverse camera retrofit, and often dealers can sort that out for you too. Parking sensors definitely a more involved process though!

briancbb

Sep 4, 2015
Kirkcaldy
Unfortunately I was bought the camera and screen as a present, had no say in it, and it was so simple to fit as the kit. I did not want to try extracting the Infotainment system.

Aug 13, 2020
Totally agree with this, especially when the retrofit route isn’t that much more expensive, and contributes to the value of the car. Not to mention it doesn’t look ridiculous!

There are plenty of threads re: reverse camera retrofit, and often dealers can sort that out for you too. Parking sensors definitely a more involved process though!
I'm leaning towards getting cam instead of sensors now, sounds like the cam will be cheaper! (I don't want to fork out for both - it's a hatchback not a motorhome after all :ROFLMAO:)

Any strong opinions on the merits of cam view v sensors + park assist (for an SC Leon in particular)?

nuvolablue

May 1, 2017
I've fitted sensors quite a few times over the years. The trickiest parts are getting a clean finish on the sensor holes in the bumper, and tapping into the reverse light wiring.
Other than that it's pretty straightforward. Here's some pics of the last one I did about 18 months ago. This was the first time I fitted the flush fit sensors. Look so much better than the push fit surface mounted ones that sit proud of the bumper.
Oh and mine were just a cheapo set from Amazon.
380557c611fb5814ec243f3b05dec9e9.jpg
ef44dba0a38cd9c996abc0e13a8aacc3.jpg
be25658d734a6f93ab06d60534da3a30.jpg
10a0ba353c7808f286f5b2188ef33d50.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
The trickiest parts are getting a clean finish on the sensor holes in the bumper..

How did you make the holes? I have couple of 17mm punches that makes perfectly clean holes every time. Dead easy.

One thing I realized is that it's best to set the sensors slightly lower than the surface of the bumper. They look 'right' from all angles if you do that. If they are flush, or worse sticking out slightly, they look wrong, especially from the side.

Reactions: seatgraham

nuvolablue

May 1, 2017
How did you make the holes? I have couple of 17mm punches that makes perfectly clean holes every time. Dead easy.

One thing I realized is that it's best to set the sensors slightly lower than the surface of the bumper. They look 'right' from all angles if you do that. If they are flush, or worse sticking out slightly, they look wrong, especially from the side.
The hole saw bit always come with the sensor kit. I just used that.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
The hole saw bit always come with the sensor kit.

Yes, I can see how tricky that would be, drilling the holes. I use punches that pull through the plastic. They make a perfect smooth hole and roll in the edges. The result is indistinguishable from factory.

LINK

nuvolablue

May 1, 2017
Yes, I can see how tricky that would be, drilling the holes. I use punches that pull through the plastic. They make a perfect smooth hole and roll in the edges. The result is indistinguishable from factory.

LINK
That's really neat. I will remember to use that tool next time I fit some.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
That's really neat. I will remember to use that tool next time I fit some.

Have to say, I was somewhat apprehensive the first time I used it! Sure would spoil the mood if it didn't work as billed. But it does. I've made a lot of holes with the thing and it works like magic.

The first tool I got actually came with the sensor kit. It wasn't part of the kit but the seller included it at little extra cost. What surprises me is that dealers don't fit flush sensors if they fit them. You get flush ones from the factory but if the dealer fits them later you get the ones that sit on the surface.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
VIDEO

Not exactly the same punch but the same procedure. They are called knockout punches and they are designed for metal. So cutting through plastic is easy for them.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Best I get my butt in gear and do it before the bad weather sets in.

There are on line vids showing you how to get the bumper off but fell free to ask any questions you like. I don't know anything about the Dolphin sensors but they look quite similar to the Vodaphone/Cobra ones which are the ones Seat fit. As long as they are canbus compliant I'm sure they'll be fine. That punch that comes with the Dolphin kit looks exactly the same as the one I have.

Tip. Put a travel rug or something on the ground behind the car to sit the bumper on to avoid the risk of scratching it while working on it.

When using the punch, hold the outside nut still and turn the inside punch bolt with a ratchet. This stops the cutter side rotating and possibly scratching the paint.

Reactions: Bosher

Bosher

There are on line vids showing you how to get the bumper off but fell free to ask any questions you like. I don't know anything about the Dolphin sensors but they look quite similar to the Vodaphone/Cobra ones which are the ones Seat fit. As long as they are canbus compliant I'm sure they'll be fine. That punch that comes with the Dolphin kit looks exactly the same as the one I have.

Tip. Put a travel rug or something on the ground behind the car to sit the bumper on to avoid the risk of scratching it while working on it.

When using the punch, hold the outside nut still and turn the inside punch bolt with a ratchet. This stops the cutter side rotating and possibly scratching the paint.
Didn't know the Cobra ones were Canbus and what SEAT fit. I'll get them instead then (y).
I'm sure I've seen a photo of the inside of a bumper and the mounting positions are marked in the moulding.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I'm sure I've seen a photo of the inside of a bumper and the mounting positions are marked in the molding.

That's right. There are crosses molded on the back of the bumper. Just pop your pilot hole through the cross and you're golden.

Cobra have been bought by Vodaphone, or something like that, so you'll see the kits branded Vodaphone but they are the same kit.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.