Passenger door won't open (and other lock/unlock issues)

CupraChris1981

Mar 24, 2021
The front passenger door stopped opening and I googled a solution and started ripping bits off it and sticking a coat hanger in from the the outside to try and hook it open, no luck, and I have quite possibly done more damage, have got the door card half off but it's being stubborn, anyone got a way to at least get the door open, is there a way to do it from the back door?

I also always for a long time have had the alarm going off every time I open the car (alarm always flashing despite unlock so have to stick keys in the ignition to stop it) and have to lock the front door using the key but I think those are separate issues as they happened before the stuck passenger door (or maybe helped lead to it?)

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
It's all the same issue.

Replacing the passenger door lock unit should solve it. Plenty of guides available although none of them have ever required a coat hanger afaik

CupraChris1981

Mar 24, 2021
It's all the same issue.

Replacing the passenger door lock unit should solve it. Plenty of guides available although none of them have ever required a coat hanger afaik
The card won't come off without the door being open, all screws and holding bolts are off but something next to the dash is hooking on to it and stopping it from coming out, without being able to get the whole thing off it is hard for me to do anything

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
Pull it hard. You might wanna pull the bottom first, reach up and disconnect the electric window switch, tweeter, door light. The two hand screws and the two pocket screws are the only hard points you must remove, the rest are clips

CupraChris1981

Mar 24, 2021
Car door just magically opened, any advice on what to do to stop it getting jammed again? Some grease?

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
Pray. Or don't, you've got as much luck either way with these modules.

It'll randomly unlock sometimes until it won't. Take the door card off now and replace the door lock module as soon as practical

CupraChris1981

Mar 24, 2021
Pray. Or don't, you've got as much luck either way with these modules.

It'll randomly unlock sometimes until it won't. Take the door card off now and replace the door lock module as soon as practical
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/36350062...hEEF6UvTlW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY this the one? I will have to pull it all out again but I guess it's worth it in the long run, it doesn't say it is right on eBay but the ones it recommends are for MK3 and mine is MK1.

Will this stop my alarm going off and constantly having to use the key instead of remote unlocking?

CupraChris1981

Mar 24, 2021
Cannot seem to disconnect this gold pin that is holding the panel on to something behind...

I also sealed around the door edge due to leaks and flooded footwell which has made it a little more annoying a job...

Attachments

• IMG_20220808_193713.jpg
    IMG_20220808_193713.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

CupraChris1981

Mar 24, 2021
I got it out didn't need to detach it was the sticky stuff all around the panel that was the problem will have to reseal again once I'm done

CupraChris1981

Mar 24, 2021
So I have replaced the actuator and now I have the opposite problem the car door won't close unless I fiddle with the catch a bit and slam it a few times...

CupraChris1981

Mar 24, 2021
This is how it looks I have to slam and hold it a few times to get it to shut it seems looser than the other doors and the latch seems to sit lower than the others, not sure how I can change the alignment? Do I have to get it all out again (please no!) Could it be a fault actuator? Could i stick something in there to stiffen it up and make it stay shut?

Attachments

• IMG_20220810_184505.jpg
    IMG_20220810_184505.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 58

Reggie Cupra TDi

Jan 14, 2016
have u tightened the bolt back up that holds in the door lock blank, (its on the edge of the door skin) i forgot this part and it was fowling on actuator mechanism and the door would just bounce back..

CupraChris1981

Mar 24, 2021
have u tightened the bolt back up that holds in the door lock blank, (its on the edge of the door skin) i forgot this part and it was fowling on actuator mechanism and the door would just bounce back..
I tightened as much as would go but just seemed to spin at the same torque

CupraChris1981

Mar 24, 2021
does it look like the bolt is fully in
I think we may be talking about different bolts? Not sure what you mean by edge of door skin I was talking about the small Torx bolt you access from under the cap (not shown in the picture?) If we are then given the amount of torque necessary it is definitely in just strange that it never stops turning...

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.