Pioneer stereo acting weird over night

Danno1975

Oct 1, 2013
Hi,

First post for me, recently bought Leon FR as a second car for work.

Pretty pleased so far, though I still need to ferret out a small issue with acceleration, think it's either a small leak or the manifold vac actuator from researching on line.

But this morning I had a far more annoying issue, no radio. I recently fit a Pioneer double din stereo with blue tooth etc as the leon head was pants and the back light had failed, it's all wired in with a connects2 kit.

It normally comes on with ignition but this morning is was dead.

I drove to work and it came on fine on its own after a few miles but went off again as I pulled into work and then back on straight away (11 mile journey). I left the interior light on all night so could it be related to that?.

Also it's meant to go off with the ignition but now it stays on and you have to turn it off!!. If you turn it on with no key in its not mean to work but now it does but comes up with the initial start screen.

When you turn the ignition on it turns on ok.

Not sure what to make of it. And only last night I was saying how happy I was with the car and especially happy about the stereo.

Hoping it's to do with leaving the interior light on over night, tho the car still started well.

Any ideas?.

Thanks

Last edited:

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
If was working correctly when you installed it, very unlikely to be connected incorrectly. All Head Units are basically computers and as you left the interior light on, it might have caused a power disruption. Try a full re-boot, disconnect the battery for a few minutes. You will get 3 warning lights on the dashboard afterwards but they will reset after driving for 50 yards.

Danno1975

Oct 1, 2013
Yep got home (no radio) checked connections and all ok, plugged oem unit in, powered up and worked. Duff pioneer. Shame as it was hard enough getting all the bits off car audio center in the first place so now I have to muck about whilst the new one is replaced :(. Bet they are not as efficient as the likes of Chain reaction or wiggle for warranty repair. But thank goodness it's not the car gone haywire :)....

koush

Oct 30, 2010
Churchdown,Gloucester
before you condemn the head unit, it might be the connects2 interface, they have a problem of going faulty, especially if your battery went low, it could have spiked it. wire your head unit directly to a battery and see if it comes on.

Koush

Danno1975

Oct 1, 2013
Good suggestion cheers, going to test the harness and plug the stereo into my sons 12v jeep :).

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Are you using a connects 2 adaptor ?
If you are I think you will find this is the culprit , I had the same issues with my car , I would be driving along and my pioneer head unit would just switch off no power no nothing and randomly come back on , so times the next morning , so I thought it was overheating.
After months of having the problem I took the head I it out with the fault present and traced it to a faulty connects 2 connector adaptor for the steering buttons.
Simple fix an has been fine ever since.

Danno1975

Oct 1, 2013
If you are I think you will find this is the culprit , I had the same issues with my car , I would be driving along and my pioneer head unit would just switch off no power no nothing and randomly come back on , so times the next morning , so I thought it was overheating.
After months of having the problem I took the head I it out with the fault present and traced it to a faulty connects 2 connector adaptor for the steering buttons.

Hi, what was you simple fix?, it did you simply replace the connector?.

Might try before wasting £15 returning the head unit.

Cheers

koush

Oct 30, 2010
Churchdown,Gloucester
Yes you may have power, but its the ignition switch inside the connects 2 that maybe faulty, as the connects 2 produces its own ignition through the canbus. I am betting it is the connects 2.

Koush

Danno1975

Oct 1, 2013
I had 12 volts at the ignition bullet connectors on the harness just by where they can be swapped about for permenant ignition etx might try the power at the plug.

Danno1975

Oct 1, 2013
Sent it back now, the power was getting all the way to the plug so hopefully will get a replacement unit ASAP.

Danno1975

Oct 1, 2013
Ps really fed up how restrictive this forum is, need to pm another user re photos to fix a leak, he can't post pictures and I can't pm. Ridiculous rules. So I'm going to post crap it get my count up a the leak is doing my head in :(.

Danno1975

Oct 1, 2013

Yep it was the connects 2 adapter. Had power but no ignition signal.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.