Please help, i'm trying to choose an Alhambra

1990gti

I'm soon going to swap my Golf for an Alhambra.

I've been looking at the early facelift ones around 2000/2001 and i'm torn between the 20vt and the TDI.

My Golf is a 20vt which is remapped, I get about 30mpg in that, i'm thinking i'd get a lot less in an Alhambra with the same engine. Whereas if I got a 115TDI i'd have much better economy and could still give it a bit of extra power with a re-map (although i'l try and resist).

Are there thinks I should be looking out for while viewing Alhambras? Or is it just basic stuff like checking for bodywork.

Also does the TDI have a better level of trim than the 1.8t? And what different models are there? I looked at one SE and one SX diesels and at 1.8t S, the petrol one seemed lacking all round compared to the others.

Thanks in advance.

Emily's dad

Check that the air con works, it can be a weak point and may be expensive to fix.

We've got a 115tdi and truth be told its got enough poke for us, even fully loaded and a roof box.

Some of the newer manuals have 130 bhp, have you considered one of those.

As for trim levels we bought a Stylance, which has everything except leather interior: 6 electric windows, heated seats, cruise, dual zone climate, heated screen front and rear parking sensors, tiptronic auto etc etc.

I used to drive GTI's Peugeots in my case, and you will never replicate the driving experience. Obviously Alhambra's are bigger, heavier, slower so will never be as engaging to drive but truth be told they aren't bad.

Good luck in your search, I'm sure others can add some advice of their own.

Dave

Shugmonkey

Hi,

I've got a 2003 1.9Tdi SE Tiptronic. We ended up with it because we bought a Renault Espace which was nothing but trouble and the garage exchanged it for the Seat.

I must say I am very pleased with what we've ended up with.
One weak point is that the front bushes wear and this can lead to knocking when going over bumps, but these are very cheap and can be replaced by a competant DIYer.

I get approx 40mpg on a run, and this goes down to 35 fully loaded for a summer holiday with a roof box on.
All the important parts are VW, but the interior trim parts can appear a little cheap.
Some complain that they eat tyres, but i'venot found that to be a problem.
We've done 40k in ours with very, very few problems, but as you will see from my other thread my parking sensors have just packed up :confused:

Emily's dad

Hi,

I've got a 2003 1.9Tdi SE Tiptronic. We ended up with it because we bought a Renault Espace which was nothing but trouble

Funny that, we ended up with our Alhambra after running a Renault Scenic that needed a few expensive repairs

Dave.:drive1:

1990gti

I'm realy tempted by THIS one here. It quite old but ticks all my boxes.

I'm looking to spend less than £5000 so a newer 130 TDI is out of my league. This one is in London, 250 miles from me in Rochdale.

I'm pretty set on a Black SE model now, with 1.8t or TDI engine. Theres a 51reg with 131,000 miles on gor £2995 on e-bay but thats an S with the lighter coloured seats that I dont realy like.

Thanks for the replies so far.

1990gti

I looked at this one today in Leeds

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....9075&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab=Watching

It was a right mess, the two front tyres were bald, the seats were manky and there was a grill missing from the front bumper. It was dirty as well, I couldn't believe they has it on their forecourt as it was. If they spent £100 on it they would probably sell it.

The silver colour looked funny as well, from some angles it looked purple ish and I was thinking it had had some paintwork as I walked over to it but maybe not. Iy could be a good cheap car for someone but its definately not for me.

I've e-mailed the London 46,000 mile black one and asked for a decent description of the bodywork. If its mint I think i'll be buying it.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.