Ported or Sealed

Crazyoll

Feb 2, 2010
Worcestershire
Hi all,
Been enjoying reading this thread.
I have a question. I am about to build a sub enclosure for my Toledo...
I mainly Listen to DnB, Jungle, Techno, Hardcore, Breakcore, Dub, dubstep and Rock/Metal, but the question is do i build a ported or sealed box.
What would sound best with these musical genres. And what sub set ups do you have?
Cheers.

I'm going to be running a JL Audio 10W0v2-4 with a Kenwood KAC2603.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I used to run a ported setup with 2 12 inch subs, that was very bassy for guitars, but didn't like punchy drum beats. It was probably because they weren't strictly designed for ported enclosures and were unable to cope.

The other problem I had was tuning the ports, it took a fair bit of trial and error before I got it right. A sealed unit is a lot easier to setup, and that's probably what I would go for next time.

Can you contact the manufacturer and see if they have any recommendations?

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
firstly youve started off on the right foot getting a 10" sub

have a read of this: http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=147

and this to help you decide what is going to suit your needs more: http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=148

There's some very good info there. The transient response section describes exactly what I was getting from my ported sub, in particular 'A ported enclosure can also achieve good transient behavior but never as good as an optimized sealed enclosure.'

Crazyoll

Feb 2, 2010
Worcestershire
That JL info is great. Had a good few reads through it now. Thanks for the link.
I think I'm going to make a ported box as i have the dimensions from JL so it must be pretty optimum.
I'm also going to sound-proof out the boot of the car and mount up my amp to look all smart. Build thread to come.
Any more info appreciated. And what systems do people have?

I'm also planning on getting a Clarion CZ209ER, anyone have one? I like the idea of controlling the ipod from the actual head unit.

Also, to whoever posted the link for free postage from car audio direct. Thanks very much.

Crazyoll

Feb 2, 2010
Worcestershire
Unfortunalty, my budges doesnt allow for two subs to make a bandpass box. I'm going to go for a braced, ported enclosure for a 10" JL sub.

thejoose

ported will work well for that sorta music - what are you tuning it to?