Possible limp mode

Jan 29, 2021
Hello, thank you for taking the time to read my problem. Sorry if its long winded i will have an odb 2 reader tomorrow

I bought a mk1 leon a few days ago and i use it to get me from edinburgh to sunderland most weekends as i am in the army.

The lad i bought it off told me when the car goes over 4400 rpms or over 100 mph it goes into limp mode (no boost) but then a flick off and back on it goes off.

While driving below 100 about 80 - 90 after about 45 mins of constant speed suddenly i could feel the turbo stopped boosting, just a little pull from the engine my foot flat, but no boost. So i restarted the engine and it was fine, no engine light.

After that, about 15 mins, as soon as i hit exactly 100 the engine light came on but didnt go into limp it still had turbo boost.

After arriving in sundeland about another 1 1/2 hours later the engine light went off, everything normal.

I would like to know weather this could just be solved by turbo cleaner spray or a fuel treatment turbo cleaner as its not constant limp mode.

Thanks again for taking the time and i really look forward to hearing back.

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
I had something similar but no engine light.

Im assuming its a diesel?
Dont use tank additives etc. In my experience it made it worse.

I did the oven cleaner trick and worked the actuator as that had restricted movement.
Sorted the problem on my car.

Rich

Jan 29, 2021
I had something similar but no engine light.

Im assuming its a diesel?
Dont use tank additives etc. In my experience it made it worse.

I did the oven cleaner trick and worked the actuator as that had restricted movement.
Sorted the problem on my car.

Rich

I have already bought wynns turbo cleaner 500ml for 25 quid. Are you sure this wont work. What is the cooker cleaner trick and is there a cleaner for the actuator. I have scanned and it says p0234. Overboost.

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
If youve got it you may aswell use it i guess lol.
I used to use the injectior cleaner in mine and not convinced it made any difference.

Google mr muscle turbo clean. You should find a vid on YouTube.
I just tried to get a link for you but my phone wont let me.
Whilst your doing the oven cleaner turbo clean (should you choose too)work the actuator arm up n down by hand whilst your under there.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Additives are a tricky one - if your engine is caked, it's unlikely to do a great deal and elbow grease is the only solution.

I've used Miller's EcoMax for the past year and it's helped it get through the emissions, and I also put a Miller's Diesel Injector Cleaner through mine in early December, which has seen any smoke I had starting the car disappear.

What I do have still is some lift off hesitation around 2,000rpm and neither of the tank additives has worked on that - although it's worth saying that I did have limp mode come in at least twice in the few months before I tried the injector cleaner but no engine lights either of those times. I had no real power but it came back after turning off the engine. No limp mode since.

Everyone here knows I've been trying to find the time to do the Mr Muscle job for at least a year or so, so we'll see if that does anything. I've heard of people spraying it straight into the turbo, and others who have sprayed down the EGR pipe, so would be interested in which works. EGR pipe I know I can get off, but spraying directly in might work better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 29, 2021
My car is a diesel 1.9 110hp. I tried wyyns fuel add turbo cleaner i drove back to Edinburgh and after 1 hour of driving between 70 and 90 i took it past 100 and didnt go into limp.

I looked up mr muscle on youtube and it looks pretty hard as the only thing ive ever done is change wheels haha. I probably will have a try though cos it tells step by step.

Wanting to get a map on my car aswell been quoted 299 but i need to make sure my car is in good health.

Thanks to everyone who has responded.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
My car is a diesel 1.9 110hp. I tried wyyns fuel add turbo cleaner i drove back to Edinburgh and after 1 hour of driving between 70 and 90 i took it past 100 and didnt go into limp.

I looked up mr muscle on youtube and it looks pretty hard as the only thing ive ever done is change wheels haha. I probably will have a try though cos it tells step by step.

Wanting to get a map on my car aswell been quoted 299 but i need to make sure my car is in good health.

A couple of years ago, all I'd changed was a windscreen wiper. True, there are a few people on here who know every bolt and cable intimately, but I think most of us just don't mind getting our hands dirty - so most things you'll encounter with the car, there'll be someone here who's done what you're planning and will be happy to help.

I've been wondering about a similar map for my car - a lot of companies offer a 'Monster' map for a few hundred pounds that seems to be a generic map. Some people swear by a rolling road map because they can make changes based on the actual car and its little characteristics, but for something that's both nearly twenty years old and not being used on a track, you wonder whether it's worth the extra money you end up paying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
Thing is with these chip tuning maps is that they cannot take into account the mechanical state of the car , its just a glorified copy and past of a generic map.
With the dyno you get an understanding of the mechanical state and they can map around issues that a generic map cannot.

Reactions: Rich.T

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex

If your issue is related to your error code then a remap wont help. Do you have a boost gauge? Knowing how your boost is behaving will help for sure.

Overboost is an issue usually down to the N75. I would check every hose coming from it to make sure there's no leaks. Then i would try a new N75 first and see how your boost behaves. OR at least find someone with a good working one you can test.

Either than or you have a sticky turbo actuator/wastegate maybe (mr muscle job)

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Thing is with these chip tuning maps is that they cannot take into account the mechanical state of the car , its just a glorified copy and past of a generic map.
With the dyno you get an understanding of the mechanical state and they can map around issues that a generic map cannot.

I had a revo remap on my last Leon 150pd.
Did make the car quicker.
But the car ive got now i want setting up properly. Just gotta wait till ive finnished adding my bolt ons.

Rich

smutts

Apr 12, 2020
Classic overboost problem.

These engines were designed to be thrashed 100+ mph all day on the autobahns. (and to be well serviced).
The vanes of the turbo soot up and stick if bimbled, the car needs a good thrash once a week to burn off the soot.
The A38 dual carriageway near me has a steep 800 foot hill which does the job just fine.

Catch 22, you can't get the turbo hot enough if it won't let you boost. :(

One quirk of the 110hp ASV mk1 Leon, if both brake light bulbs are blown, you get the orange preheat light come on which is also the engine check light.
Scares your wallet to death 'till you know about it.

X2 for sorting out the dogs guts of vacuum tubes at the back of the engine bay, likely to be perished.

Reactions: Connor H
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.