Pros/Cons of pre- and post- late 2021 Ibiza FRs?

Metalogic

Mar 11, 2024
Oxford, UK
Hi - I'm looking to buy a (low-ish mileage) 2-4 year old Seat Ibiza FR or FR Sport 115 /110. I'm aware the Ibiza had a facelift late 2021 with a new interior and infotainment screen, LED lights all round, different alloy wheels and the addition of a particulate filter for the engine, amongst other things

Anyway, after looking at some Ibizas, I'm a bit torn whether to go for a pre- or post- facelift model, mostly because I think I actually prefer the interior of the older model - the position of the infotainment screen is less easy to see and use, but I prefer the look of it being more integrated into the dash and the use of faux leather in much of the dash on the FR models hides much of the cheaper feeling plastic on the older models and looks quite classy. Also on the non-Sport models, I prefer the older seat cloth covering. I'm also not a huge fan of the red fan trims on the newer model FRs. Having said that, I don't think the new interior looks awful.

The older model also has 115 HP Vs 110 HP for the newer one (due I think to the particulate filter).

Am I doing the newer model Ibiza a disservice, though? Is the allegedly improved quality of the interior materials and upgraded touchscreen (and steering wheel) etc. actually worth it? Are there any other pros to the post facelift model that I've overlooked Thanks.

Last edited:

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
The Ibiza gained a petrol / gasoline particulate filter (GPF) before 2021 - the GPF was added late 2018 or early 2019. I may be wrong but I think the addition of the GPF coincided with the NEDC to WLTP transition period (NEDC to WLTP are the previous and current official test procedures for measuring vehicle fuel consumption and emissions).

So if you’re considering an 2021 Ibiza - either a late pre-facelift Ibiza or facelift car - then it’ll have a GPF. As for the red trim around the air vents in the facelift car; there was a no cost option to substitute the red trim for grey (see screenshot below from the Dec 2021 brochure; https://tools.seat.co.uk/files/live...s/v2_cars-models-pricelist-KJ1-NA-12-2021.pdf), so you may be able to find a car where the original owner spec’d the grey trim when they ordered the car new.

IMG_0467.jpeg

Metalogic

Mar 11, 2024
Oxford, UK
Thanks - okay, so it sounds like the change from the 115 hp rating to 110 hp is not necessarily due to the addition of a GPF? If that's the case, I wonder why they de-rated the engine to 110 in 2021 (some 2021 pre-faclift cars also have the 110 engine, though)? One thing I did notice is that they moved the air filter box from on top of the engine block to the side of it fit the 110 models.

I guess the GPF is not a huge deal, for short journeys in my local town I would usually just get on my push bike, unless I needed to carry a large load, most of my car journeys will be more than 12 miles.

So other than the pre-faclift cars obviously being a bit older, I guess it mostly comes down to interior trim preference?

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I guess the GPF is not a huge deal, for short journeys in my local town I would usually just get on my push bike, unless I needed to carry a large load, most of my car journeys will be more than 12 miles.

My 2020 VW Polo GTI+ has a GPF and in 3.5 years / 15,600 miles I’ve been aware of the car performing an active / forced GPF regeneration three times. I don’t drive many very short journeys (my driving mix is roughly 70% longer journeys and 30% shorter journeys). My short journeys are typically 7-8 miles, and anything less than 3-4 miles I’ll walk, unless I have anything large or heavy to transport (kinder to the environment and better for me as it helps me get my daily step count up 🙂).

So other than the pre-faclift cars obviously being a bit older, I guess it mostly comes down to interior trim preference?

It probably does come down to interior trim preference. However, an additional consideration for me would be the alloys. Seat and many other car manufacturers seem to fit diamond cut alloys to many of their performance and performance-oriented models. The diamond cut finish isn’t very durable, so alloys with this finish are quite prone to white worm corrosion, especially when on a car that’s used as a daily driver during the winter months and subjected to winter road conditions. It’s not unusual for white worm corrosion to happen on alloys that are 2-3 years old (sometimes sooner), so always inspect them carefully for signs of it and check / ask if the alloys have been refurbished as even after a refrub to remove it, it’s likely it’ll return after a couple of years or so.

I see that the pre-facelift Ibiza FR has 17” painted / powder coated alloys and a painted / powder coated finish is much more durable than diamond cut, and it doesn’t succumb to white worm corrosion. If you’re unfamiliar with white worm corrosion, do an internet search as there are some good images of alloys that have suffered from it.

My car came with diamond cut alloys and I fitted a set of powder coated alloys within 2-3 months of getting the car as I dislike diamond cut alloys with a passion! Other potential downsides with diamond cut alloys;
  • more expensive to refurbish than alloys worth a painted / powder coated finish, and because the diamond cut refurb process involves re-cutting the face of the wheel and removing a thin layer of metal, diamond cut alloys can only be refurbished twice; more than twice and the structural integrity of the wheel might be compromised (reputable alloy wheel refurbishing companies will refuse to refurb diamond cut alloys that’ve already been refurbished twice).
  • diamond cut alloys seem to be easily damaged by over zealous tyre fitters and if they do damage them, they’ll invariably deny doing so! 😡.

Metalogic

Mar 11, 2024
Oxford, UK
Thanks! Am a actually probably more likely to go for the FR, not FR Sport model - mostly 'cos it's cheaper and the extras on the Sport (i.e. the alcantara seats, digital cockpit and 18" alloys), whilst nice, are not essentials for me. Also as you say the 17" powder coated alloys in the FR models are likely to be more durable and probably a little quieter on the road and more comfortable.

Actually that's one thing I think they did improve on the post- facelift FRs - the 17" alloy wheels are a nicer design, I think (though the pattern of the seats is more boring).

I actually put a holding deposit a couple of days ago on a late-2021 (so post- facelift) Desire Red (my favourite Seat colour) FR (not FR Sport) 110 that looked very tidy (with just under 20k miles on the clock) - see attached image, which I might well buy, though want try to look at a few other examples first.

Attachments

• Ibiza.png
    Ibiza.png
    463.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.