Question: Lowering Springs And Auto-Levelling Headlights...

RicJames

Sep 28, 2014
Lancashire
I'm looking to lower my Leon on Eibach Sportlines and would like to know from anyone else who has done it, does the reduction in ride height affect the auto-levelling headlights in any way?

I'm guessing it won't do as the car will register that it is sitting lower over both axles (as if it was carrying a fair amount of weight) and so the headlights would be aimed accordingly. Or will it see the car is lower at either front or back and end up aiming the headlights higher/lower to suit?

Any answers would be much appreciated!

I've tried to search for an answer but if I've missed it or if anyone can point me the right direction then again, many thanks.

Last edited:

rich.leon

Leon FR TFSI, DSG
Oct 25, 2012
Rochester, Kent
I thought of this before lowering mine on the sportlines. So marked on a wall where they was on standard suspension, changed springs (font comes down quite a lot) and rechecked on wall, they had levelled to the marks so happy days!

RicJames

Sep 28, 2014
Lancashire
my leons lights seemed lower after i lowered it for some reason, im sure there is a good explanation, but a simple allen key twist or two brings them back up.

Fair enough, but as they're Xenons and automatic I'd rather not have to tinker... haha

I thought of this before lowering mine on the sportlines. So marked on a wall where they was on standard suspension, changed springs (font comes down quite a lot) and rechecked on wall, they had levelled to the marks so happy days!

And this was exactly the answer I was hoping for! If everything lines up correctly afterwards compared to before then I'll be a happy man; this is my first venture into the world of modifying (and first real modifying of anyone I know!) so I might be going slightly overboard but I'm ticking off every query I might have and checking every detail with every modification I'm planning, and if I'm not 100% happy I'm not bothering! Haha

CJcupra

Jan 11, 2013
Surrey
I'm looking to lower my Leon on Eibach Sportlines and would like to know from anyone else who has done it, does the reduction in ride height affect the auto-levelling headlights in any way?

I'm guessing it won't do as the car will register that it is sitting lower over both axles (as if it was carrying a fair amount of weight) and so the headlights would be aimed accordingly. Or will it see the car is lower at either front or back and end up aiming the headlights higher/lower to suit?

Any answers would be much appreciated!

I've tried to search for an answer but if I've missed it or if anyone can point me the right direction then again, many thanks.

Hi Ric,

I lowered my Cupra on springs and the headlights were always low as possible. They wouldn't do the usual xenon dance when turning the car on, but would flick left and right, then beam as low as possible.

When my car went in for a service, the SEAT garage reset them to adjust to the new ride height, free of charge, didn't take long apparently.

Now its all good. :thumbup:

toot

Jan 14, 2010
Kalmar, Sweden
As they are selfadjusting they will always try to adjust but the question is in which range as it getting a value from the sensor thinking the car is heavly loaded and might try to andjust when it´s bottom/maxing out the movement range of the motor.
Best thing is to use vagcom to set the new value as normal ride hight.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.