R32 VR6 swap into a MK2 Leon?

Jun 6, 2022
i've had a look around this forum and can't find another thread discussing this so if there is one please let me know

hey everyone, i've had the idea of swapping a VR6 from an R32 into my mk2 Leon. I know it wont be the easiest of projects so im just wondering all the work that will need to go into it. I've only seen it been done on 2 other MK2 Leons and i think it would be a really nice swap once it's done and all the sweat and tears are out the way. (and the MK2 Leon is based off the MK5 Golf so it can't be that hard, right? 😭)

yeah, i know its gonna be a struggle but my thinking is (bearing in mind i've not found anything about it so don't really have a clue) i can get the engine and trans and put them into my Leon, get new engine mounts fitted so it sits in properly, either change the ECU or get the original one fully re coded so it works with my car and the foreign engine then the usual stuff such as upgraded essential parts as i dont think my original ones would be able to handle the power increase.

there is obviously gonna be much more that needs to go into it which is why im asking here, im not too fussed about the cost as it will be a long term project thing so i wont have to buy everything straight away and when ive asked around before all ive gotten is either "its not worth it" or "just buy a cupra and save the hassle". I'm actually wanting to do this so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks alot.

also for reference, my car is a '06 1.6 stylance. (not the most exciting of cars but it's my first car and im wanting to turn it into a project hence the engine swap)

:)

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Your best bet is to get a Mk5 R32 to use as a donor, you'll be able to see how close the two chassis are and what parts you can use and what needs fabricating. You'll save a ton of money that way, only problem is, by then you'll already own a R32.

Reactions: 300bhpdaily

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
I agree with the above post.
The smartest and most cost effective way is to buy a r32 car and swop all the parts over but it’ll be a lot of work as effectively your reshelling a complete car in my eyes minus the seats which you may as well fit as well.
The spare wheel pan has to be cut out and made swallower. You’d used all the front and rear subframes Inc steering rack from the donar car to save coding. The complete rear subframe Inc suspension etc.
My mate who’s brought my yellow mk2 is 4x4 S3 swopping my old shell. Use the 32 engine and gearbox mounts on the mk2 shell.

If you can find a r32 for £2k your laughing obviously a car that’s been hit on the sides is best and less risky.

I always admire people like you who think this far out of the box to building a unique car so fair play to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: CW92

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
No idea where you'd find an R32 for cheap tho.

Even in places like Copart, people are paying WAY over the odds for smashed up motors.

Ricky88

Mar 17, 2022
I don't know about now with the crazy prices of used cars but the Audi A3 V6 used to go for a lot less than an R32 and it is the same running gear.

Not sure if it's worth it though, it is a lot of work and the 3.2 vr6 only puts out like 240bhp which isn't great. Sounds fantastic though!

Try and find a TTRS engine going cheap! 🤣

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@mk2dan - one of the boring things you shouldn’t overlook is insurance. Before you start spending money on parts and / or a donor car IMHO it’d be worth speaking to your insurance company first. With plans for such a heavily modified car, you may find the cost of insurance prohibitive - some insurance companies probably wouldn’t quote to cover you / your car at all, and those that do might want stupid money!

I’d hate to think a fellow forum member invested their time and money in building something special, and then couldn’t find a company to insure it at an affordable premium.

Reactions: Ricky88

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Forum Sponsor
Sep 27, 2016
Hi.
If you have any issues with insurance for this type of conversion then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.