Random fuel gauge?

Redline

Nov 3, 2016
Hi,

Anyone else experiencing the fuel gauge going down then later back up?
Is this a characteristic of a faulty sensor? :blink:

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Funny story:

When I was in my teens my mother went out with a guy called Robert who lived in Motherwell. Robert's nextdoor neighbour bought a new car and was bragging about it something awful, getting on people's nerves. One of the things he boasted about was the great economy it was supposed to give.

Robert decided to play a trick on the guy. Every week he hopped over the fence and put extra petrol in the guy's car! This was back in the days when most cars didn't have locking fuel-caps. He kept this up for...I can't remember but say a month or so and sure enough, the guy was crowing like a cockerel about the amazing MPG he was getting.

Then, Robert started visiting the car but instead of adding fuel, he siphoned out the petrol he's been putting in! :0) His neighbour was totally confused and furious. He drove the dealer mad demanding to know what was wrong with the car. The dealer of course could find nothing wrong with it, and couldn't figure out how it could possibly have been returning the epic economy he claimed of it.

I remember that Robert did tell him what he'd done but I can't remember what the final outcome was, but the whole thing was pretty funny.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
I did the same thing with my dad back when he had a Ford Prefect and never told him why his fuel was lasting so long. My dad had an old battery for years and had to keep getting a push to start as he was always skint/tight, anyway a new battery was finally bought and he was bragging about it up the pub about no more pushing and how it always started first time too. He left the pub (everyone had a drink and then drove in those days) and jumped in turned the key............ and nothing not even a click. Bonnet up to find NO battery, someone had nicked it (bonnet opened from outside so easy to do) never found out who it was but it was so funny.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Bonnet up to find NO battery, someone had nicked it (bonnet opened from outside so easy to do) never found out who it was but it was so funny.

Car security was non-existent in those days. My mother and Robert came out of a dance at the local golf club to find his car sitting on bricks in the carpark. Alloy wheels were a big deal back then and got stolen all the time. My mother had never seen a car sitting on bricks and laughed her head off! :0)

That car was a white Vauxhall VX-something. For the day it was a massive car.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise