Rattle on specific RPM

Apr 10, 2020
Hello guys,

I have quite annoying problem, my car makes really strange noise at around 1600 RPM comming from passenger side, it sounds like this:

That sound is always present- doesn't matter if im driving or not, if its cold or hot it just started to be always present like a week ago- before i heard it only like few times over the past year and it was noticable only at 2000RPM.

I installed new turbo (IHI) about 2 months ago but i heard that sound few times before the swap- usually after some hard driving and then it always went away after few hours of rest. Old turbo had actually quite firm turbine wheel so i think it's not the problem with my new one ( i swapped it because old one had a crack inside the exhaust manifold and a loose wastegate which made a terrible noise that i know some of you might be familiar with :D)

I can hear that rattle at idle RPM after the car gets warm but not when starting the cold engine- it holds around 1200RPM to warm up and that sound is not there so i hope it's not a cam chain (a plaque with written in german: "bei allen pruef- und Einstellarbeiten motore- kennbuchstaben" has a date of 28.04.2012- i have no idea if it's a note saying that my car had new cam chain installed after ~3 years of use or something else)

After removing glovebox the sound is not getting louder so i hope it's not comming from the engine. I tried grabbing a heatshield or exhoust as i thought they are making that sound but i was wrong- it's also not possible to pin point where the rattle is comming from as at that specific RPM it's just too loud under the car. Maybe it's just resonating piece of metal that got loose somewhere.

I'm not getting any fault codes so it's probably not catalytic converter (or maybe i'm wrong and it might be it even without any codes)

Knowing it's really hard to actually help me with that problem over the internet i'm hoping for at least some advice. Maybe one of you had something wrong with their car that was similiar to my problem.

My Leon FR is 2009 2.0 TSI 211HP code: CCZB with over 220k if it makes any difference

HAPPY EASTER!

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
That doesn't sound good. Does the sound stop if you dip the clutch?

Apr 10, 2020
I also noticed that the noise is really loud UNDER passenger seat where AC pipes go. Maybe these're just some vibrations from the engine that are resonating everywhere

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members