Rear Anti Roll / Sway Bar

OliCupra

Sep 11, 2014
Worcestershire
Hi folks,

A bit confused, I have a 2019 Cupra 290 (copper badged), owned from new.

Everything I've read seems to indicate it does not have a rear anti roll bar / sway bar, but I've just looked and it definitely does?!

Can anyone enlighten me? Do all mk3 Cupras have a rear bar, and people who have bought aftermarket bars (e.g whiteline etc) are replacing/upgrading the existing one?

Or, this may be a really stupid question, but does/has anybody added a new aftermarket bar in addition (i.e. as well as the factory one?). Obviously it would have to fit in a different place as some appear to fit straight on the shocker bolt, some drop links off the shocker bolt, and some drop links off the rear beams/arms.

Hopefully so.eone can kerb my complete confusion ha.

Thanks,
Oli

OliCupra

Sep 11, 2014
Worcestershire
I should also say hello again, fellow Leon owners after several years away!

I used to have a white mk2 Cupra face-lift and sold it to aid moving house, having a kid etc! A few years later and I've bought another White 290 Lux copper badge job.

Really happy with the car generally but I do feel it's lacking in handling to the old car. I used to get in my old one after driving the mrs kia picanto and notice the stiffness and turn in every time I drove it. I just dont get that feeling with this one hence the question about sway bars.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I think you'd be hard pushed to find and car on sale today that does not have anti-roll bars where applicable. They are a standard feature wherever you have independent suspension. Suggesting a car like a Cupra doesn't have one is as stupid as saying it doesn't have tyres.

Modern cars are softer, there isn't really any question of that. Most people don't want a car that handles like a go-cart as they're unpleasant to live with on a daily basis. The lack of connection with the wheels is designed in and it'll be very difficult to undo it. A lot of older cars were more fun to drive.

OliCupra

Sep 11, 2014
Worcestershire
Mr Pig thanks for the reply and yes I can confirm I do now feel stupid! I'm no suspension expert but I probably should have realised that all cars have a rear ARB of some type...

I don't want a car that handles like a go kart, but I've had a number of performance cars over the years and I am quite disappointed with this latest Cupras handling overall, I just don't find it to be confidence inspiring car when pressing on. Nervous would be my best description in a word.

I don't want to lower it,so looks like my best option first is to upgrade the rear ARB and links and see how that improves things.

Jul 21, 2021
Mr Pig thanks for the reply and yes I can confirm I do now feel stupid! I'm no suspension expert but I probably should have realised that all cars have a rear ARB of some type...

I don't want a car that handles like a go kart, but I've had a number of performance cars over the years and I am quite disappointed with this latest Cupras handling overall, I just don't find it to be confidence inspiring car when pressing on. Nervous would be my best description in a word.

I don't want to lower it,so looks like my best option first is to upgrade the rear ARB and links and see how that improves things.
Hi man, did can you make an update please? Did you upgrade the ARB at the end?

OliCupra

Sep 11, 2014
Worcestershire
Hey, yeah I did do it. I got a Whiteline 22mm and fitted it on the stiffest setting with the original factory droplinks.

At slow speeds you barely notice the difference, just a little stiffer over bumps, but at speed the turn-in is improved dramatically, it actually feels like it wants to go round the corner now! The biggest improvement is the increased stability and confidence in sudden changes of direction like S bends and even just overtaking where the car always felt very nervous.

It's perfect for every day spirited driving in Comfort now, Cupra mode can be saved for when really needed. Basically how it should have left the factory in my opinion!

Reactions: Mr Pig

OliCupra

Sep 11, 2014
Worcestershire
PS4S front, original Conti-crap on the back still. It would be interesting to know what the sway bar upgrade would have been like with the original tyres up front, but I changed those ages ago.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
PS4S front, original Conti-crap on the back still.
Tyres can make a huge difference. The PS4s are a stiff tyre but not 'jittery'. F1 Asymmetrics are much more compliant. I didn't think the suspension on my FR was very good until I changed the tyres.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.