Rear bumper differences?

Jul 11, 2022
I'm looking for a diffuser for my 2019 fr and I have found one I like from maxton design.
The problem is that they say it fits the hatchback but not the sportstourer which i have.. I would've imagined that those two rear bumpers is the same but is that not the case?
I have also seen that they make a spoiler extension for the non facelift fr and for the facelift cupra.. would any of those fit on a facelift fr?

The diffuser mentioned above is this one:

Best regards

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
The ST and 5 door have very different rear bumpers. Diffuser is definitely different as the ST one is wider to allow for the exhaust tips being further apart and the straighter bumper.

Maxton do a diffuser for the ST from memory though, as they do one that supports the Golf R/Carbon/R ST exhaust.

Jul 11, 2022
The ST and 5 door have very different rear bumpers. Diffuser is definitely different as the ST one is wider to allow for the exhaust tips being further apart and the straighter bumper.

Maxton do a diffuser for the ST from memory though, as they do one that supports the Golf R/Carbon/R ST exhaust.
Okay thanks!
But maybe I'm missing something obvious but why would the exhaust tips be further apart on the st and why would it have a straighter bumper? Maxton doesn't seem to have a diffuser for the facelift fr st on their website

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Okay thanks!
But maybe I'm missing something obvious but why would the exhaust tips be further apart on the st and why would it have a straighter bumper? Maxton doesn't seem to have a diffuser for the facelift fr st on their website
Apologies I was referring to the Cupra Exhaust tips. On the FR it means the tips sit further to the left.

The exhaust is completely different on the ST, with 2 back boxes either side of a spare wheel well (on the Cupra) that sits much lower. This supports the lower floor on the ST than the hatch. For example the rear back boxes actually sit wider and further back of the rear wheels.

I know you're talking FR, but the below examples of the exhausts on the Cupra should help, although they are not to scale. The exhaust tips are not like massively different in position, but they are further apart.

1657536314641.png

As for straighter bumper, this just the shape of the car, with the extended boot and bigger rear bumper the curves on the corner are sharper making the bumper edge that bit straighter. Either way its a very different bumper, just look at the boot edge etc:

I know this isn't a perfect comparison, but should help highlight the differences (besides the more obvious extra 30+cm length to the car)

1657537445041.png

As for Maxton, the facelift bumper on the FR is the same as the Cupra just with a different diffuser. So you could get the cupra one, but you'd need an exhaust to fill the extra hole...

Last edited:
Reactions: Walone

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Again not perfect but the difference for the FR.

Does look like the exhuast tips may be differnt size too, although they may be the same width...

1657538280651.png

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.